107th Support Group
The unit was originally organized at New York, New York May-June 1806 as four militia companies of Artillery and assigned 26 July 1806 to the Battalion of Artillery, First Brigade, Major Andrew Sitcher. (Battalion of Artillery expanded and redesignated as 3d Regiment of Artillery 5 April 1807.) Reorganized 25 August 1808 as 2d (Infantry) Battalion, 3d Regiment of Artillery, New York State Militia.
The unit was redesignated 13 June 1812 as 2nd Battalion, 11th Regiment of Artillery, New York State Militia. It was mustered into Federal service 15 September 1812 and stationed at Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor; mustered out 15 December 1812. It was later mustered into Federal service 2 September 1814 and stationed on Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor; mustered out 2 December 1814.
The 2nd (National Guard) Battalion, 11th Regiment of Artillery was reassigned to 2nd Regiment of Artillery, New York State Militia, 27 January 1825. Withdrawn from 2nd Regiment of Artillery 1 October 1825 and designated Battalion of National Guards. Reorganized and redesignated as 27th Regiment of Artillery, New York State Militia, 6 May 1826. Redesignated as 7th Regiment of Infantry (National Guard), New York State Militia, 27 July 1847.
The unit was mustered into Federal service 26 April 1861 at Washington, District of Columbia; mustered out 3 June 1861 at New York. (New York State Militia redesignated New York National Guard in 1862.) Mustered into Federal service 19 June 1862 at Fort Federal Hill, Maryland; it was mustered out 5 September 1862 at New York. Mustered into Federal service 17 June 1863 at New York and assisted in suppressing Draft riots 16 July 1863; mustered out 21 July 1863 at New York.
The unit was mustered into Federal service 26 June 1916 at New York for Mexican Border and stationed at McAllen, Texas; mustered out 2 December 1916 at New York. It was called into Federal service 15 July 1917; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917. (7th Infantry, New York Guard, organized as depot unit during World War 1.) The unit was redesignated as 107th Infantry and assigned to the 27th Division 1 October 1917. The unit was demobilized 2 April 1919 at Camp Upton, New York.
After World War I the unit was consolidated with the 7th Infantry, New York Guard 1 June 1921 and reorganized as the 107th Infantry with Headquarters Federally recognized 6 January 1922 at New York. The unit was relieved from the 27th Division, converted and redesignated as the 207th Coast Artillery (Antiaircraft) 1 August 1940. Inducted into Federal service 10 February 1941 at New York. (3d Battalion constituted 1 April 1942 and activated 15 June 1942 at Newport, Rhode Island.)
The regiment broken up 21 April 1943 and elements were reorganized and redesignated as follows: Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 207th Antiaircraft Artillery Group; lst Battalion as the 771st Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion; 2d Battalion as the 7th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion; and 3d Battalion as the 247th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery inactivated 22 December 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts; 771st Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion inactivated 15 January 1946 on Guam, Marianas Islands; 7th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion inactivated 12 January 1946 at Camp Stoneman, California; and 247th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion inactivated 31 October 1944 at Camp Gordon, Georgia.
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 207th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, 771st Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, 7th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, and 247th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion consolidated and redesignated as the 107th Infantry and assigned to the 107th Regimental Combat Team 27 September 1946. Reorganized and Federally recognized 20 October 1947 with Headquarters at New York. Relieved from the 107th Regimental Combat Team and assigned to the 42d Infantry Division 15 October 1957.
The unit was relieved from the 42d Infantry Division 16 March 1959 and reorganized as the 107th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
In 1993 the 1st Battalion 107th Infantry was deactivated as part of a Nationwide force structure draw down. The 107th designation was reassigned to the former 205th Support Group, New York Army National Guard, creating the 107th Support Group.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|