1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment
"Black Lions "
1st Battalion, 28th Infantry was first constituted on 2 February 1901 in the Regular Army as Company A, 28th Infantry and was organized on 10 June 1901 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington. The 28th Infantry first saw combat service from December 1901 to January 1904 during the Philippine Insurrection where the Regiment was heavily involved in counter-guerilla operations. During the years 1906-1908, the Regiment, minus one battalion, performed guard and police duty as part of the American forces of Cuban Occupation. In 1913, the 28th Infantry was ordered to Texas to assist in guarding the Mexican border against raids by Pancho Villa.
Following the entry of the US into World War I, the Regiment was assigned on 8 June 1917 to the 1st Expeditionary Division (which later became the 1st Division and then the 1st Infantry Division). On 29 June 1917, the men of Company K became the first American combat unit to set foot on European soil at St. Nazair, France.
In the inter-war period the unit was inactivated on 30 September 1933 at Fort Hayes, Ohio. The 28th Infantry was relieved on 16 October 1939 from assignment to the 1st Division. It was assigned on 22 June 1940 to the 8th Division (later redesignated as the 8th Infantry Division). The unit wa activated on 10 October 1940 at Fort Niagara, New York.
The 28th Infantry again distinguished itself in combat during World War II. After landing on Utah Beach on 4 July 1944, its first action was an attack to the south to establish a critical bridgehead over the Ay River so that armored divisions could launch a breakout and then attack into Brittany and Northern France. During its 10 months of combat, the Regiment played a major part in 4 allied campaigns, winning 3 Presidential Unit Citations embroidered Normandy, Bergstein and Stockheim. It captured over 115,000 prisoners of war and vast stores of enemy material.
Following the end of World War II, the unit was inactivated 1 November 1945 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. The unit was activated again on 17 August 1950 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 August 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 28th Infantry, and remained assigned to the 8th Infantry Division, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The unit was relieved on 1 May 1959 from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division and assigned to the 1st Infantry Division.
In 1963, Operation Long Thrust VI deployed 1st Battle Group from Fort Riley, Kansas to West Germany from where it advanced through Communist East Germany to Berlin, "front line of the Cold War." 1st Battle Grouo "Black Lions" were present during President Kennedy's memorable "Ich bin ein Berliner" visit and returned to Fort Riley, Kansas that year. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 13 January 1964 as the 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry.
In 1965, the 1st and 2nd Battalions, 28th Infantry were deployed to Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division. Early 1970 saw the end of the participation of the 1st and 2nd Battalions in the conflict. After almost 5 years of combat in South Vietnam, the colors of both Battalions were redeployed to Fort Riley. Two members of the 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry, 1st Lieutenant Gary L. Miller of Company A and Captain Euripides Rubio of the HHC were awarded the Medal of Honor, both posthumously, for their heroism.
The unit was inactivated on 28 February 1983 at Fort Riley, Kansas, and relieved from assignment to the 1st Infantry Division. Its Headquarters was transferred on 27 February 1987 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
The Battalion was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment and its Headquarters was inactivated on 16 November 2005 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, and withdrawn from the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command. On 16 January 2006 the 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment was reactivated along with the activation and reactivation of the rest of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, as part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force. As part of the modular transformation the US Army would add a fourth brigade to its active divisions.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|