1st Battalion - 214th Field Artillery
The 1st Battalion, 214th Field Artillery, was the first Reserve Component Battalion in the U.S. Army to Certify on the M109A6 Paladin Howitzer. The Field Artillery is the Army's Fire Support branch--the "King of Battle." Its leaders must destroy, neutralize or suppress the enemy by cannon, rocket or missile fire and integrate all supporting fires--Field Artillery, tactical air, Naval guns, Army aviation and mortars--into combined-arms operations. Field Artillerymen put "Steel on Target" in the right places, at the right time and in the right proportions to assure the success of maneuver commander's plan--a task that requires thorough understanding of maneuver and fire support doctrine, tactics and techniques.
The unit was organized from existing volunteer companies and mustered into Confederate service September-October 1861 as the 1st and 2nd Battalions, Georgia Cavalry. The unit consolidated on 20 January 1863 to form the 5th Georgia Cavalry Regiment. It surrendered on 26 April 1865 near Greensboro, NC, with the Army of Tennessee, commanded by General Joseph E. Johnston. It reorganized on 11 June 1875 in the Georgia Volunteers as the 1st Squadron, Cavalry. The unit expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 11 November 1889 as the 1st Regiment, Georgia Cavalry. It was redesignated on 26 December 1890 as the 5th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry; and on 12 January 1894 as the 1st Regiment, Cavalry.
It consolidated on 10 October 1899 with the 1st Battalion, Cavalry (organized on 15 January 1890), and the consolidated unit designated as the 1st Regiment, Cavalry. The Georgia Volunteers was redesignated on 21 December 1899 as the Georgia State Troops; it was redesignated on 1 October 1905 as the Georgia National Guard. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 2 December 1907 as the 1st and 2nd Squadrons of Cavalry. The 1st Squadron (less Troop B) disbanded on 19 September 1910; Troop B was concurrently transferred to the 2nd Squadron. The 2nd Squadron was mustered into Federal service on 16 July 1916; it was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.
The squadron was broken up between 18 September-20 October 1917 and its elements reorganized and were redesignated as elements of the 106th Field Signal Battalion, 106th Train Headquarters and Military Police, and Headquarters Troop, 31St Division. The 106th Field Signal Battalion was demobilized on 10 May 1919 at Camp Jackson, SC; the 106th Train Headquarters and Military Police demobilized on 14 January 1919 at Camp Gordon, GA; and Headquarters Troop, 31st Division, demobilized in October 1918 at Camp Mills, NY. The former 2nd Squadron reorganized and was Federally recognized on 6 March 1922 in the Georgia National Guard as the 1st Squadron, 108th Cavalry, with Headquarters at Hinesville. Headquarters, 108th Cavalry, was organized and Federally recognized on 10 November 1923 at Hinesville (2nd Squadron allotted to the Louisiana National Guard - separate lineage).
Headquarters and 1st Squadron, 108th Cavalry, converted and was redesignated on 12 October 1940 as the 101st Separate Battalion, Coast Artillery. It was inducted into Federal service on 10 February 1941 at home stations as the 101st Separate Coast Artillery Battalion. It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 May 1943 as the 101st Coast Artillery Battalion; on 15 June 1944 as the 101st Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion; on 15 September 1944 as the 101st Antiaircraft Artillery automatic weapons Battalion, Air Transportable. It inactivated on 28 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, CA.
Redesignated on 11 October 1946 as the 101st Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, the unit was reorganized and Federally recognized on 17 June 1947 with Headquarters at Statesboro. It was ordered into active Federal service on 14 August 1950 at home Stations; and released on 13 April 1952 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. It was redesignated on 1 October 1953 as the 101st Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion.
The unit consolidated on 1 July 1959 with Headquarters, 214th Artillery Group, and the 250th and 950th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalions to form the 214th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Gun Battalions, the 3rd Automatic Weapons Battalion, and the 5th Detachment. It reorganized on 1 May 1962 to consist of the 1st Howitzer Battalion, the 3rd Automatic Weapons Battalion, and the 5th Detachment; on 16 April 1963 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 48th Armored Division; and on 1 January 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2nd Battalions. It was redesignated on 1 May 1972 as the 214th Field Artillery.
The unit was withdrawn on 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|