Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


1st Squadron - 18th Cavalry Regiment

The 1st Squadron, 18th Cavalry Regiment, was constituted on 22 July 1885 in the California National Guard as the 7th Infantry Battalion and organized from existing companies in southern California. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 5 May 1888 as the 7th Infantry Regiment.

The unit consolidated on 7 December 1895 with the 9th Infantry Regiment (organized on 8 February 1890 in the California National Guard) and consolidated unit designated as the 7th Infantry Regiment. It mustered into Federal service on 9 May 1898 at the Presidio of San Francisco as the 7th California Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of Federal service on 2 December 1898 at Los Angeles. It mustered into Federal service on 29 June 1916 at Sacramento; and mustered out of Federal service on 11 November 1916 at Los Angeles. It was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

It consolidated on 25 September-1 November 1917 with the 2nd Battalion, Companies L and M, and the Sanitary Detachment, 2nd Infantry Regiment; the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 160th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Division. It demobilized on 7 May 1919 at Camp Kearny, CA.

Former southern California elements reorganized on 23 August-6 October 1921 in the California National Guard as the 160th Infantry and was assigned to the 40th Division; Headquarters was Federally recognized on 31 January 1922 at Los Angeles.

The 2nd Battalion 160th Infantry, reorganized and was redesignated on 1 April 1929 as the 2nd Battalion, 185th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division (160th Infantry - hereafter separate lineage). It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated in March-April 1930 as the 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 185th Infantry, elements of the 40th Division (later designated as the 40th Infantry Division). It was inducted into Federal service on 3 March 1941 at home stations. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA.

The 2nd Battalion, 185th Infantry, was redesignated on 5 August 1946 as the 223rd Infantry and remained assigned to the 40th Infantry Division (the 3rd Battalion, 185th Infantry, was concurrently redesignated as the 224th Infantry - hereafter separate lineage). The 223rd Infantry was organized and Federally recognized on 15 October 1946 with Headquarters at Pasadena Ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations (the 223rd Infantry [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Pasadena). The unit was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 223rd Infantry (NGUS).

The 2nd Battalion, 223rd Infantry, consolidated with the 3rd Battalion, 111th Armored Cavalry (organized and Federally recognized on 26 January 1951 with Headquarters at Van Nuys [changed on 1 November 1951 to Burbank]); and the consolidated unit was concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 139th Tank Battalion, with Headquarters at Burbank, and assigned to the 40th Armored Division (223rd Infantry - hereafter separate lineage).

The 139th Tank Battalion reorganized and was redesignated on 1 July 1959 as the 2nd Medium Tank Battalion, 185th Armor, an element of the 40th Armored Division.

The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 1 March 1963 as the 1st Reconnaissance Squadron, 18th Armored Cavalry, and relieved from assignment to the 40th Armored Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 November 1965 as the 1st Squadron, 18th Armored Cavalry; and ordered into active Federal service on 13 May 1968 at home stations; before being released on 12 December 1969 from active Federal service and reverting to state control.

It was reorganized and redesignated on 13 January 1974 as the 18th Cavalry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 40th Infantry Division. It was withdrawn on 19 January 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System.

The 1st Squadron [less Troops C and D] was ordered into active Federal service on 1 May 1992 at home stations; it was released on 9 May 1992 and reverted to state control.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list