1st Battalion - 180th Infantry Regiment
The history of the 1st Battalion, 180th Infantry can be traced to the 1st Infantry Regiment, Oklahoma Volunteer Militia, which was constituted in 1890. It organized on 21 December 1895 in the Oklahoma National Guard, from militia companies organize 1894-1895, as 1st Infantry Regiment, with Headquarters at Guthrie.
It was consolidated with elements from the Indian Territory, and Territories of Arizona and New Mexico, to form the 1st Regiment Territorial Volunteer Infantry, United States Volunteers, and mustered into Federal service 4-23 July 1898; and mustered out 11-15 February 1899 at Albany, GA.
The former 1st Infantry Regiment, Oklahoma National Guard, reorganized in 1899 as the 1st Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters at Guthrie. It was mustered into Federal service 27 June-1 July 1916 at Fort Sill, OK, for Mexican Border; and mustered out 1 March 1917 at Fort Sill.
It was called into Federal service on 31 March 1917 and assigned on 18 July 1917 to the 36th Division. It was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917 at Fort Sill.
The unit was consolidated on 15 October 1917 with 7th Infantry, Texas National Guard, and the consolidated unit was redesignated as 142d Infantry, an element of 36th Division. The 3d Infantry, Oklahoma National Guard organized in Eastern Oklahoma and was Federally recognized on 3 September 1918, with Headquarters at Muskogee.
The unit was demobilized on 17 June 1919 at Camp Bowie, TX.
The Eastern Oklahoma elements of former 142d Infantry merged during 1920-1921 with elements of 3d Infantry, and the resulting unit was designated in the Oklahoma National Guard as 3d Infantry, with Headquarters at Muskogee (former elements of 142d Infantry in central part of State merged with 2d Infantry; hereafter, separate lineage). It was redesignated on 14 October 1921 as 180th Infantry, and assigned to the 45th Division.
The unit was inducted into Federal service on 16 September 1940 at Muskogee. The 45th Division itself was reorganized and redesignated on 11 February 1942 as 45th Infantry Division. The unit inactivated 22-29 November 1945 at Camp Bowie, TX.
Reorganized with Headquarters Federally recognized on 18 September 1946 at Holdenville, it was ordered into active Federal Service on 1 September 1950 at Holdenville. The 180th Infantry [NGUS] was organized and Federally recognized on 15 September 1952 with Headquarters at Holdenville.
It was released from active Federal service 30 April 1954 and reverted to State control; concurrently, the Federal recognition was withdrawn from 180th Infantry, (NGUS).
It was reorganized on 1 May 1959 as the 180th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of 1st and 2d Battle Groups, elements of the 45th Infantry Division. It was reorganized on 1 April 1963 to consist of 1st and 2d Battalion, elements of the 45th Infantry Division.
It was again reorganized on 1 February 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion, a non-divisional unit.
This unit also particpated in Operation Enduring Freedom, in Afghanistan in 2002.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|