Military


1st Battalion - 160th Infantry Regiment

The 1st Battalion, 160th Infantry Regiment, was originally constituted on 22 July 1885 in the California National Guard as the 7th Infantry Battalion and organized from existing companies in southern California. It was expanded, reorganized, and redesignated on 5 May 1888 as the 7th Infantry Regiment. It consolidated on 7 December 1895 with the 9th Infantry Regiment (that unit was organized on 8 February 1890 in the California National Guard) and the consolidated unit was designated as the 7th Infantry Regiment.

The unit was mustered into Federal service on 9 May 1898 at the Presidio of San Francisco as the 7th California Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of Federal service on 2 December 1898 at Los Angeles. It was mustered into Federal service on 29 June 1916 at Sacramento; and mustered out of Federal service 11 November 1916 at Los Angeles. It was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

It consolidated between 25 September-1 November 1917 with the 2nd Battalion, Companies L and M, and the Sanitary Detachment, 2nd Infantry Regiment, California National Guard; the consolidated unit concurrently reorganized and was redesignated as the 160th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Division. It was demobilized on 7 May 1919 at Camp Kearny, CA.

The former southern California elements reorganized between 23 August-6 October 1921 in the California National Guard as the 160th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Division; Headquarters was Federally recognized on 31 January 1922 at Los Angeles. The 2nd Battalion, 160th Infantry was withdrawn, reorganized, and redesignated on 1 April 1929 as the 2nd Battalion, 185th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division (160th Infantry - hereafter separate lineage).

The unit expanded and was reorganized in March-April 1930 as the 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 185th Infantry, elements of the 40th Division (later redesignated as the 40th Infantry Division). It was inducted into Federal service on 3 March 1941 at home stations. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA.

The 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 185th Infantry, were redesignated on 5 August 1946 as the 223rd and 224th Infantry and remained assigned to the 40th Infantry Division. After 5 August 1946, the above units underwent changes as follows:

  • The 223rd Infantry was reorganized and Federally recognized on 15 October 1946 with Headquarters at PasadenaOrdered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations (the 223rd Infantry [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Pasadena). IT was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 223rd Infantry (NGUS). The 1st Battalion, 223rd Infantry, reorganized and was redesignated on 1 July 1954 as the 223rd Armored Infantry Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division, with Headquarters at Glendale (remainder of 223rd Infantry - hereafter separate lineages).
  • The 224th Infantry reorganized and was Federally recognized on 15 October 1946 with Headquarters at Ontario. It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations. The 224th Infantry [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Ontario). It was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 224th Infantry (NGUS). The 1st and 3rd Battalions, 224th Infantry, reorganized and were redesignated on 1 July 1954 respectively as the 224th Armored Infantry Battalion, with Headquarters at San Bernardino, and the 161st Armored Infantry Battalion, with Headquarters at Orange (changed 1 November 1957 to Santa Ana), elements of the 40th Armored Division (remainder of 224th Infantry - hereafter separate lineages).

The 161st, 223rd, and 224th Armored Infantry Battalions consolidated, reorganized, and were redesignated on 1 July 1959 as the 160th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Rifle Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division.

The unit was reorganized on 1 March 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division; on 1 November 1965 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division, and the 4th Battalion, an element of the 29th Infantry Brigade; on 29 January 1968 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 40th Infantry Brigade, and the 4th Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Brigade; on 13 January 1974 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions, elements of the 40th Infantry Division; and on 1 August 1985 to consist of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions, elements of the 40th Infantry Division.

The unit was withdrawn on 19 January 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System (2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions were ordered into active Federal service on 2 May 1992 at home stations; and released on 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control).

In 1999, the California Guard was redesignated the 4th Battalion, 160th Infanty Regiment to the 1st Battalion 160 Armored Infantry Battalion. The Battalion Headquarters was located at Santa Ana, CA.

  • The 1st Battalion Company A home station was San Diego, CA. The 1st Battalion Company B was stationed in Orange, CA. 1st Battalion Company was C stationed in Riverside, CA.

In the fall of 2001, the C Company was designated to deploy to Saudi Arabia to guard the Patrot missile site in Ryadh. After September 11, 2001, the B Company was alerted to replace the C Company in February 2002. The B Company returned June 2002.

Charlie stands by for deployment to the Balkans in the fall of 2003. The B Company was stands by for deployment to the 81st established in Washington State.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list