1st Battalion, 14th Field Artillery Regiment
The mission of the 1st Battalion, 14th Field Artillery Regiment, "Steel Warriors," is to train and prepare for combat and then, on order, provide precision rocket and missile fires worldwide in support of Joint/Coalition operations.
The 1st Battalion, 14th Field Artillery Regiment was first constituted on 7 September 1927 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 14th Field Artillery, an element of the 7th Division. The Battery was activated on 1 December 1934 at Fort Riley, Kansas and was inactivated on 1 July 1936 at Fort Riley, Kansas. 14th Field Artillery as a whole was relieved on 16 October 1939 from assignment to the 7th Division.
The unit was reactivated on 15 July 1940 at Fort Benning, Georgia, as Battery A, 14th Field Artillery, an element of the 2nd Armored Division. The Battery was reorganized and redesignated on 8 January 1942 as Battery A, 14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The unit fought in the Sicily campaign that helped drive the Italians out of the war. In 1944 the unit was part of the great allied amphibious assault at Normandy, France and the subsequent drive across northern France that brought an end to the war. In total, the unit served in 6 campaigns with the 2nd Armored Division as an element of the 14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion: Sicily (with arrowhead indicating participation in the initial assault), Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.
On 1 July 1957, the unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 14th Field Artillery, and remained assigned to the 2nd Armored Division with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battalion was redesignated on 8 July 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 14th Artillery.
The Battalion was relieved on 12 May 1967 from assignment to the 2nd Armored Division, and was assigned to the 198th Infantry Brigade (Light) (Separate). Deploying to Vietnam, the unit served with the 198th Infantry Brigade until it was was relieved on 15 February 1969 from that assignment and assigned to the 23rd Infantry Division (AMERICAL). The unit was redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 14th Field Artillery. While in Vietnam, the unit participated in 11 campaigns: Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase VII, and Consolidation I. On 30 November 1971 the Battalion was relieved from assignment to the 23rd Infantry Division (AMERICAL) and assigned to the 2nd Armored Division, having departed Vietnam.
The Battalion was inactivated at Garlstedt, Germany on 1 October 1983, and was reactivated on 1 March 1987 at Fort Stewart, Georgia. The Battalion was again inactivated on 15 September 1990. The Battalion was assigned 16 December 1992 to the 2nd Armored Division and activated at Fort Hood, Texas. The Battalion was relieved on 15 January 1996 from assignment to the 2nd Armored Division. On 7 June 1996, the Battalion was placed under the control of the 214th Field Artillery Brigade at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, an element of the III Corps Artillery.
During 2000, the 1-14th Field Artillery deployed a leader-heavy O/C package to Korea to help administer 6-37th Field Artillery's EXEVAL. 1-14th Field Artillery deployed elements to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, attached to the 1st Brigade Combat Team (not to be confused with the modular brigade combat team) of the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized). Additionally, 1-14th Field Artillery exchanged a battery with the 2nd Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|