1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment
The 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry traces its lineage to when it was first constituted in the regular Army on 2 February, 1901 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas as an element of the 14th Cavalry Regiment. The 14th Cavalry Regiment was baptized in fire in 1903 in the insurgency campaigns of the Phillippines. Upon successful completion of that campaign in 1906, the Regiment then returned home to the United States and took up garrisons in the Pacific Northwest, where it assumed peacetime duties. The Regiment was again called back to the Phillippines in 1909, although this time it was only engaged in garrison duties and training.In 1912, the Regiment was called for service in the Mexican campaign, joining General "Black Jack" Pershing's expeditionary forces in the summer of 1916, chasing bandits throughout the dust and heat of the Mexican plains. The Regiment then returned back to Texas, where it began the task of border patrolling until 1918, when it was called into service in Europe. The Armistice at Versailles was signed before the Regiment could cross the Atlantic, and the Regiment reassumed its' border patrol mission.
In 1920, the 14th Cavalry moved to Iowa, and for approximately the next 2 decades served in a peacetime capacity. In 1942, the Regiment was inactivated, and from its' lineage came the 14th Armored Regiment. On 28 August 1944, the unit, redesiganted as the 14th Cavalry Group, sailed for Europe, where it landed on Omaha Beach on 30 September 1944, and pressed east. On 18 October 1944, the unit was split with the 18th Squadron attached to the 2nd Infantry Division, and the 32nd Squadron attached to the 83rd Infantry Division.
On 12 December 1944, the headquarters element regained its' autonomy, and began guarding the Losheim Gap in Belgium. On 16 December 1944, its' turrets rang in anger as the 14th Cavalry Group received the full brunt of the German winter counter-offensive in the Battle Of The Bulge. After 2 days of savage fighting, the unit reassembled at Vielsam, Belgium and was attached to the 7th Armored Division. On 23 December 1944, the unit held the southern flank of the perimeter, and allowed friendly gtroops to withdraw. On 25 December 1944, the unit was reequipped, attached to the XVIII Airborne Corps, and moved back into the "Bulge" to push back the Nazi foe.
After the bloody and brutal fight in the Ardennes, the Regiment was assigned to the Third United States Army, and ended the war near the Austrian border. After the Armistice, the Regiment was redesignated as the 14th Constabulatory Regiment in the US Army of Occupation. The Regiment was again redesignated as the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1948, and served on the border, guarding freedom's frontier to include the Fulda Gap, until the colors were cased in 1972.
On 15 September, 2000, at 0930 hours, the 1st Battalion, 32d Armored Regiment was officially inactivated during a ceremony on Watkins Field, Fort Lewis, Washington. Its personnel were subsequently reflagged as the 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, which was concurrently activated at Fort Lewis, Washington. The unit was reorganized as a reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition (RSTA) squadron composed of 3 reconnaissance troops and a surveillance troop. The reconnaissance troops had 3 recon platoons and a mortar section. The surveillance troop included a Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) platoon, an Nuclear-Biological-Chemical (NBC) recon platoon, and a number of other sensor systems. It had 428 authorized personnel at the time. The new squadron was part of the Interim Brigade Combat Team (IBCT) that had been formed at Fort Lewis in a move to produce a more deployable force.
The transformation of the unit called for the trade-in of M3 Bradley Cavalry Fighting Vehicles and M1A1 Abrams main battle tanks for a lighter, more mobile system capable of being loaded on a C-130 Hercules cargo aircraft. The Army planned to equip the new type of Brigade Combat Teams with the Interim Armored Vehicle (later known as the Stryker), which was initially to have been comprised of 2 classes of vehicle, the Mobile Gun System and the Infantry Carrier Vehicle. The Infantry Carrier Vehicle was to be the center of gravity for the Interim Brigade Combat Teams. The Infantry Carrier Vehicles would be able to carry a squad of 9 soldiers and their gear. They will also be accompanied by the Mobile Gun System.
In October 2003, the Squadron deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom I and II, where it participated in sustained combat operations, including campaigns in Samara, Tall'Afar, Balad and Mosul. The unit returned home after a year of combat in October of 2004 to refit and prepare for future missions.
In October 2005, for the first time in over 80 years, the Squadron returned to Texas to guard the border between the United States and Mexico in conjunction with Joint Task Force-North, and the US Border Patrol.
In June 2006, the Squadron again deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and conducted operations in Baghdad, Mosul and Diwaniyah.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|