1st Battalion, 13th Armor
1-13 Armor deploys with or without equipment, builds combat power, conducts military operations in support of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, or other headquarters and redeploys.
The origin of the 1st Battalion, 13th Armor can be traced to Troop K, 13th Cavalry (13th Horse), constituted on 2 February 1901 and organized under the 13th Cavalry Regiment at Fort Meade, South Dakota on 26 July 1901. The regiment served in the Philippines from 1903 to 1905 and again from 1909 to the end of 1910. From 1911 to 1921 the regiment was stationed along the Mexican border and was involved in the Punitive Expedition in 1916. The 13th was the first unit into Mexico and the last out. The regiment remained active between the world wars, being stationed in Texas and Kansas.
In 1936 the 13th Cavalry became part of what was to become the nucleus of the Army's armored force. As part of the 7th Cavalry Brigade (Mechanized), the 13th laid the foundations of the new armored divisions which were to come into being in 1940. Colonel Charles L. Scott, the Regimental Commander at the time, was to become the first commander of the 2nd Armored Division. On 15 July 1940, the 13th Cavalry was re-designated the 13th Armored Regiment and became part of the new 1st Armored Division.
On 8 November 1942, 13th Armored, as part of Combat Command B, landed in Oran, Algeria, to participate in the Allied counteroffensive in North Africa. From that time on the 13th never was far from the fighting, and it ended the war almost at the Swiss border in Italy. From 1946 to September 1947 the 13th served as part of the US Constabulary in Germany. It was inactivated at Coburg, West Germany on 20 September 1947.
In 1951 the 13th Tank Battalion was reactivated with the 1st Armored Division at Fort Hood. It remained with the division throughout the 50s and 60s until 1971, when it became part of the 1st Cavalry Division for 3 years. On 20 June 1974, 13th Tank rejoined the 1st Armored Division at Illesheim, Germany until 20 February 1987, when the Battalion moved to Vilseck, Germany. 13th Tank remained here until 1988, when it was inactivated and re-designated to 2nd Battaion, 13th Armor at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
In January 1997, 1-13 Armor became Task Force (TF) 1-13, when A/1-13 joined TF 1-41 Infantry as part of Operation Joint Endeavor in Bosnia. TF 1-13 gained B/1-41 IN and C/1-4 ADA. The battalion's colors are authorized to carry campaign and battle streamers embroidered Mexico 1916-1917, Algeria-French Morocco (w/arrowhead), Tunisia, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, North Apennines, and Po-Valley.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|