1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry Regiment
1st Battalion (Air Assault), 133rd Infantry Regiment
The 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry Regiment was originally constituted and organized in May 1861 as an element of the 2nd Iowa Volunteer Infantry and mustered into Federal service 27 May 1861. It was mustered out of Federal service on 12 July 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
The 2nd Iowa Volunteer Infantry was mustered again into Federal service on 2 June 1916 at Camp Dodge, Iowa for the Mexican Border and stationed at Brownsville, Texas. The unit was again and mustered out of federal service on 15 January 1917 at Fort Des Moines, Iowa. Soon thereafter, the Regiment was again called into Federal service on 25 March 1917 and was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. It was reorganized and redesignated as the 133rd Infantry and assigned to the 34th Infantry Division on 1 October 1917. It was demobilized on 18 February 1919 at Camp Grant, Illinois.
The Regiment was consolidated with the 4th Infantry, Iowa State Guard (organized between 1918 and 1919), and was reorganized and Federally recognized on 29 March 1921 as the 134th Infantry with Headquarters at Sioux City, Iowa. It was redesignated as the 133rd Infantry and assigned to the 34th Infantry Division on 11 July 1921.
The 133rd Infantry was inducted into Federal service on 10 February 1941 at Sioux City, Iowa. It inactivated on 3 November 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. It was reorganized and Federally recognized on 25 November 1946 with Headquarters at Cedar Falls, Iowa.
The unit was relieved from the 34th Infantry Division on 1 May 1959 and reorganized as the 133rd Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System. The 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry draws its lineage and hnors from that of A Company, 133rd Infantry.
Subsequent assignments for the 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry included the 47th Infantry Division and the 34th Infantry Division. It joined the latter on 10 February 1991, becoming part of the Division's 2nd Brigade (Air Assault). With the transformation of the 34th Infantry Division to the US Army's modular force structure and the reorganization and redesignation of 2nd Brigade (Air Assault), 34t Infantry Division as 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division, the unit became directly assigned to the new modular brigade combat team.
After completing 6 months training at Camp Shelby, Mississippi and a rotation through Joint Readiness Training Center in Fort Polk, Louisiana the 1st Battalion 133rd Infantry made it safely into the Iraqi theater of operation. The out going unit, 1st Battalion, 118th Field Artillery from Savannah, Georgia, validated the 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry as ready to take over the mission. The mission tasked to the 133rd Infantry Battalion was convoy security in the western region of the Iraqi theater of operations. The official take over of this mission occurred on 1 May 2006.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|