Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Experts Say Next US President Must Deal With Tehran's Nuclear Program VOA 30 Oct 2008 -- The next US president will have to confront the need to do something about Iran's nuclear enrichment program.
- Putin seeks to further build ties with Iran RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2008 -- PM Putin: Russia and Iran must continue to develop bilateral and multilateral projects, and welcomed Iran's contribution to the SCO.
- Iran offers proposals for enhanced ties among SCO members IRNA 30 Oct 2008 -- First VP Davoudi offered major proposals to boost cooperation among the Shanghai Cooperation Organization members.
- Interview: Cross-Border Attack on Syria Raises Iranian Eyebrows cfr.org 30 Oct 2008
- Falling Price Of Oil Compounds Iranian President's Problems RFE/RL 29 Oct 2008 -- Watching global markets floundering in the wake of the credit crunch, Iran's clerical and political elites are reveling in the West's economic woes, which have partly deflected attention from the country's domestic troubles and international isolation
- Iran to expedite electricity generation from nuclear plants IRNA 29 Oct 2008 -- Following Iran's admission to World Nuclear Association, Iran will expedite project to supply 20,000 megawatts from nuclear power.
- Iran plans to use An-140 planes to patrol borders RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2008 -- Iran will need an additional 20 An-140 turboprop aircraft to ensure effective patrols of its national borders.
- Iran plans to build Russian Ka-32 helicopters under license RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2008 -- Iran is planning to manufacture over 50 Russian-designed Ka-32 helicopters under a production license.
- Iran opens navy base in Persian Gulf IRNA 29 Oct 2008 -- Iran has opened new naval facilities east of the Strait of Hormuz, on the entrance to the Persian Gulf.
- Analysis: With Oil Down, Will Iran Follow? cfr.org 28 Oct 2008 -- The recent tumble in global economic growth has fed an equally precipitous fall in energy prices, a trend welcomed by consumers across the world but deeply worrying to many energy exporting nations
- Iran's UN envoy says no surrender to enrichment halt demand RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2008 -- Iran's envoy to the UN: Country would not give in to UN Security Council demands to suspend uranium enrichment.
- US Says Curbing Iran's Nuclear Program in Moscow's Interest VOA 27 Oct 2008 -- The US State Department said that working to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions is in Russia's own interest and not a favor to Washington.
- Iran receives no secret letter from US IRNA 27 Oct 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi ruled out media report that US President Bush sent a letter to Iran to normalize relations.
- Iranian Cleric Alleges US Nuclear Blast In First Gulf War VOA 24 Oct 2008 -- A senior Iranian cleric has raised allegations the US used a small nuclear weapon in the first Gulf War, a charge the U.S. denies.
- Iran's letters to UN, UNSC on MKO recorded as UN documents IRNA 24 Oct 2008 -- Iran's letters to the UN in protest to London's deproscribing the Mojahideen Khalq Organization have become the UN documents.
- Russia determined to complete Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant IRNA 24 Oct 2008 -- Russian Deputy FM: Russia is determined to complete Bushehr Nuclear Reactor.
- Kordan: No Taliban militia in Iran IRNA 24 Oct 2008 -- Iran's Interior Minister Kordan: No Taliban militia is in Iran and in custody there.
- Official Iranian Glee Over 'Failure Of Global Capitalism' Ignores Painful Realities RFE/RL 24 Oct 2008 -- With much of the world grappling with government bailouts and other fallout from financial turmoil, leaders in Iran have hailed the ongoing crisis as the end of capitalism, saying the West is "being punished by God with a recession."
- Iran's President Urges Iraqis to Reject US Security Pact VOA 23 Oct 2008 -- Iran's President Ahmadinejad: Iraqis should provide their own security and reject the US-Iraqi pact that would allow U.S. troops to remain.
- Barzani: We will never allow any action against Iran from Iraq IRNA 23 Oct 2008 -- Iraq Kurdish Regional Government President Barzani: "We will never allow any action to take place against Iran from Iraq territory."
- Iran ready for signing security pacts with Persian Gulf littoral countries - Larijani IRNA 23 Oct 2008 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Larijani: Iran ready for signing security pacts with entire Persian Gulf littoral countries.
- Iran's 'leniency' towards Israel a joke - Larijani IRNA 23 Oct 2008 -- Iran's Parliament speaker: Iran's 'leniency' towards Israel resemble a joke, since Iran pursues a certain policy regarding Israel.
- US Designates Iranian Bank as 'Proliferator' VOA 22 Oct 2008 -- The U.S. Treasury Department says the Export Development Bank of Iran illegally helping the Iranian government violate United Nations sanctions.
- FM: Iraq issue should be removed from UN chapter 7 IRNA 22 Oct 2008 -- Iranian FM Manouchehr Mottaki: Iraq should be removed from chapter seven of the UN Charter and no reason for continuation of status quo.
- Big-Power Diplomats Discuss Iran Nuclear Issue VOA 20 Oct 2008 -- Diplomats of the 5 permanent UN Security Council members and Germany, the P5+1, conferred on efforts get Iran to curb nuclear program.
- No political obstacles for Iranian nuclear plant RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2008 -- Russian deputy FM: No political obstacles in the way of the completion of Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Iran's Air Force completes 5-day aerial drills RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2008 -- Iranian Air Force completed a 5-day series of large-scale exercises in the northwest of the country.
- Russia worried by Iran urging peace with Afghanistan Talibs RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2008 -- Russia is worried by tendencies among some political forces in Iran to have Talibs engaged in peace efforts in Afghanistan.
- FM warns certain states of talks with Afghanistan Taliban IRNA 19 Oct 2008 -- Iranian FM Mottaki warned foreign forces against incurring another defeat by entering into talks with Taliban forces.
- Iran expects Russia to complete Bushehr power plant on schedule IRNA 18 Oct 2008 -- Iran expected Russia to honor commitments to complete Bushehr power plant based on the previously agreed timetable.
- Russia to ship equipment to finish Iranian nuclear plant RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2008 -- Russia will soon ship around 1,000 tons of equipment necessary to complete the construction of the Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Iranian pilots show off dogfighting skills in war games RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2008 -- The Iranian Air Force started on Friday large scale combat drills in the northwest of the country with simulated dogfights.
- Former Iranian President Khatami Urged to Run Again VOA 16 Oct 2008 -- Supporters of former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami have urged him to run for the office again.
- Iran criticizes western governments approach to Taliban IRNA 15 Oct 2008 -- Ambassador to UN Khazaee: Criticized attempts by Western governments to hold negotiations with Afghan extremist groups.
- Iran Urges Diplomacy to Resolve Nuclear Issues VOA 14 Oct 2008 -- Speaker of the Iranian Parliament Ali Larijani: Urging Western Powers to resolve standoff with his country over nuclear program through diplomacy.
- Iran hails progress in Bushehr nuclear power plant construction RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2008 -- Top Iranian official: Tehran satisfied with construction of the Republic's first nuclear power plant, being built by Russia.
- Iran ready to resume talks on Iraq with U.S. RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2008 -- Tehran is ready to resume talks with Washington on security problems in Iraq, a spokesman for the Iranian embassy in Baghdad said Tuesday.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran on verge of significant developments IRNA 14 Oct 2008 -- President Ahmadinejad: Country is on the verge of significant domestic and global developments which requires full attention.
- US problems no to be solved by accusing Iran: Ambassador IRNA 14 Oct 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador to Iraq Qomi: Washington's problems in Iraq could not be solved by accusing others.
- Iran's Ex-President Hosts Prominent Western Figures VOA 13 Oct 2008 -- Iran's former President Mohammad Khatami is hosting several former Western leaders at a conference in Tehran.
- Tehran hopes for continuation of Iran Six talks RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2008 -- Tehran counting on the continuation of talks with the Iran Six group of world powers despite a new UN resolution being passed against the country.
- Iranian Reformist to Run in 2009 Presidential Race VOA 12 Oct 2008 -- A leading Iranian reformist will run in next year's presidential elections, challenging President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, expected to seek second term.
- Iran's envoy: Group 5+1 divided over nuclear talks IRNA 11 Oct 2008 -- A senior Iranian diplomat says Group 5+1 members divided in conducting nuclear talks with the Islamic Republic because of strong negotiation logic.
- Iran protests to Britain over release of terrorist IRNA 10 Oct 2008 -- Iran protested against release of terrorist involved in the 1980 attack on Iranian Embassy, saying release will affect relations.
- Larijani: Iran entitled to nuclear energy based on NPT IRNA 10 Oct 2008 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani: Based on Nuclear non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Iran is entitled to having nuclear energy.
- French Foreign Minister Assails Iran Nuclear Defiance RFE/RL 09 Oct 2008 -- French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has warned that the continued standoff over Iran's nuclear program is creating an increasingly dangerous situation and accused Tehran of making dialogue on the topic "impossible."
- Surviving terrorist from Iran Embassy siege released from UK jail IRNA 9 Oct 2008 -- The only terrorist to survive the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege in London finally released but is neither deported nor granted asylum.
- US has made major shift in Iran policy: President IRNA 8 Oct 2008 -- President Ahmadinejad: The US Administration has made major shift in its Iran policy thanks to pressure from the American people.
- Iran Questions NATO Chief's Nuclear Stand VOA 8 Oct 2008 -- Iran: NATO chief Jaap de Hoop Scheffer has no business expressing judgment on Iran's nuclear program.
- Bushehr Power plant to launch in 1st half of 2009 IRNA 7 Oct 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manuchehr Mottaki said that Bushehr Power plant is scheduled to become operational in the first half of 2009.
- Iran deplores Group 5+1 has resorted to levers of pressure IRNA 7 Oct 2008 -- Iran complained the Group 5+1 resorted to pressures instead of offering answers to a package of questions.
- Iran Says Pressure on Nuclear Program Will Fail VOA 7 Oct 2008 -- Iranian media say the country's top nuclear negotiator vowed not to give in to foreign pressure to halt Iran's uranium enrichment.
- Iranian Reports of Downed U.S. Plane Are Contradictory, Official Says AFPS 7 Oct 2008 -- Senior Defense Department spokesman dismissed Iranian reports that a US military aircraft had been forced down in Iran.
- Pentagon denies Iran forced down U.S. plane RIA Novosti 7 Oct 2008 -- The US Department of Defense denied Tuesday reports that Iran forced a US warplane to land in Tehran.
- Iran not to relinquish enrichment right: IAEO official IRNA 6 Oct 2008 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization Aqazadeh: Iran would never give up its right to enrich uranium, stressing suspending enrichment is "red line".
- Israel will strike before Iran gets bomb - French FM RIA Novosti 5 Oct 2008 -- French FM Kouchner: Israel preparing a military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities and will act before Tehran creates a nuclear bomb.
- Rice Says Diplomatic Relations with Iran Still Being Considered VOA 5 Oct 2008 -- US Secretary of State Rice: Bush administration still considering setting up a diplomatic mission in Iran.
- Despite Petrodollars, Iranians Struggle To Make Ends Meet RFE/RL 03 Oct 2008 -- Sitting atop the world's second-largest gas and oil reserves, Iran earned an estimated $80 billion in energy sales in the last fiscal year as fuel prices spiked
- Iran Envoy Dismisses Reports of Stopping Uranium Enrichment VOA 3 Oct 2008 -- Iran's ambassador to the UN nuclear agency is dismissing reports he suggested Tehran might consider a stop to uranium enrichment.
- Iran's President And The Battle For The Arab Street RFE/RL 02 Oct 2008 -- A few weeks ago, RFE/RL's Persian-language service asked listeners in Iran to send in their assessments of the performance of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad
- Envoy: Iran Could Stop Enrichment With Fuel Import Guarantee VOA 2 Oct 2008 -- Top Iranian nuclear negotiator: Tehran might consider stopping uranium enrichment program if it gets a guaranteed supply of fuel.
- Iran: US Tells 'Huge Lies' About Tehran's Nuclear Program VOA 2 Oct 2008 -- FM: United States has difficulty accepting the peaceful nature of Tehran's nuclear program and Washington is perpetuating "huge lies."
- Iran may limit cooperation with UN nuclear watchdog - MP RIA Novosti 1 Oct 2008 -- Iran is likely to limit cooperation with the IAEA after new resolution on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list