Find a Security Clearance Job!

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)


EAST TENNESSEE TECHNOLOGY PARK

KEY FACILITIES

Building K-25, Gaseous Diffusion Building

The K-25 Building, located on 40 acres at the center of ETTP, is a U-shaped building that is about one mile long. When it was built in 1943, it was the largest building in the world with over 1.64 million square feet of floor space. It was shutdown and is undergoing decontamination. Radioactive wastes will be sent to the Environmental Management Waste Management Facility (EMWMF) near the Y-12 National Security Complex or to the Nevada Test Site. Demolition of K-25 is scheduled to start in October 2008 and be completed in December 2010. The basement slabs, retaining walls, and the north wing will be left in structurally sound condition.

Storage vaults in the facility contained significant amounts of lithium hydroxide and RCRA wastes. Major hazards included significant amounts (greater than 1 kg) of SNM dispersed in the shutdown process equipment. DNFSB Recommendation 94-1, "Improved Schedule for Remediation (Nuclear Material Stabilization)," applied to this facility. Additionally, 11,000 tons of caustic lithium hydroxide as well as PCBs, hazardous wastes, and mixed wastes were stored in the facility.

The K-25 Building was shut down without proper post-operational cleaning and purging. Coolant and lubricating oils were removed from the process equipment; deposits and residues remain in place. Deposit amounts and locations are classified, and there are nuclear criticality and safeguards and security issues. The deposit removal project (DRP) was initiated to bring K-25 into compliance with DOE Order 5480.24 by removing, packaging, and relocating quantities of uranium deposited in piping and equipment across the site. This effort was designed to reduce the probability of a criticality incident in the K-25 Building. Hold-up materials in the K-25 site diffusion process facilities were specifically excluded from the scope of the implementation plan for compliance with DOE Order 5480.24.

Building K-27

The K-27 Building, built in 1945, is a rectangular, 374,000 square foot facility. Demolition and disposal of the K-27 Building is scheduled to start in September 2014 and be completed in July 2016. It was used for uranium enrichment. The building was shut down and is undergoing D&D. This facility, occupying approximately 15 acres, was used for uranium enrichment. Significant amounts (greater than 1 kg) of enriched uranium were left, dispersed in process equipment. DNFSB Recommendation 94-1, "Improved Schedule for Remediation (Nuclear Material Stabilization)," applied to this facility.

Buildings K-29, K-31, K-33

Buildings K-29, K-31, and K-33 were used for uranium enrichment processes. Building K-29 was constructed in 1951 and occupies approximately 15 acres. Building K-31 was constructed in 1951 and occupies 20 acres. Building K-33 was constructed in 1954 and occupies approximately 32 acres. After shutdown, contaminated structures and equipment was left.

In 1997, British Nuclear Fuels Inc. (BNFL) was awarded a contract to decontaminate and decommission the facilities. In June 2007, EnergySolutions acquired Reactor Sites Management Company Limited (RSMC) from British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL), thereby giving it authority over Oak Ridge cleanup. While all three buildings were going to be transferred for reuse, the DOE determined later that K-29 was not suitable. Bechtel Jacobs Company LLC (BJC), the Environmental Management cleanup contractor, took over the facility in July 2005, began demolition in January 2006, and completed it in August 2006.

The K-25 Building, located on 40 acres at the center of ETTP, is a U-shaped building that is about one mile long. The K-27 Building, built in 1945, is a rectangular, 374,000 square foot facility. Buildings K-29, K-31, and K-33 were used for uranium enrichment processes. Building K-29 was constructed in 1951 and occupies approximately 15 acres. Building K-31 was constructed in 1951 and occupies 20 acres. Building K-33 was constructed in 1954 and occupies approximately 32 acres. After shutdown, contaminated structures and equipment was left.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list