Los Angeles Times May 02, 2003
Chinese Submarine Accident Kills All 70 Aboard
Incident is attributed to mechanical failure, but exact nature and date of incident is not revealed by government officials. The accident occured in China's territorial waters.
By Anthony Kuhn, Special to The Times
BEIJING -- Mechanical failure on a Chinese navy submarine killed all 70 officers and sailors aboard the craft, official government media reported today.
A terse dispatch from the New China News Agency said that according to information from the navy, submarine No. 361 was conducting exercises in China's territorial waters near the Neichangshan islands. The islands lie in the Yellow Sea between Northeast China's Liaoning province and North Korea.
The report said the accident occurred "recently," but mentioned no precise date or cause.
Following the brief report was a much longer dispatch containing the text of a telegram dated May 2, sent by military chief Jiang Zemin to the families of the "martyrs."
"The officers and men of submarine No. 361 firmly remembered the sacred mission entrusted to them by the party and the people," the telegram said. "The motherland and the people will never forget their illustrious names and achievements."
While President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have dominated media attention in Beijing in the ongoing SARS epidemic, Jiang Zemin has retreated to Shanghai and kept a lower profile. Jiang relinquished his posts as president of state and general secretary of the communist party to Hu in November, but was elected to another five-year term as head of the Central Military Commission in March.
The report said that the submarine had already been towed back to base, but did not identify the base. The Yellow Sea is patrolled by the People's Liberation Army Navy's North Sea Fleet. The fleet has a major submarine base at the port of Lushun, formerly Port Arthur, in Liaoning province, and the shipyards of Dalian are also close by.
"This is an interesting development in transparency," said Patrick Garrett, an associate analyst at at the website GlobalSecurity.org, noting that military accidents are seldom reported in the Chinese media.
The fact that the submarine could be towed back to base, he added, suggested that fire or an inability to surface could have caused the crew inside to suffocate.
But Bernard Cole, a professor at the Naval War College, said that the submarine could have sunk, perhaps following a collision with another vessel, and then been recovered. He noted that China has recently conducted exercises aimed at recovering sunken submarines.
Russia's loss of the nuclear submarine Kursk in 2001, he said, "has certainly sparked China's interest in submarine salvaging."
"I don't know of any other Chinese submarine accidents that have been reported," Cole added. "If this in fact is their first one, that's a pretty good safety record."
Military analysts identify submarine No. 361 as a Ming class diesel-electric powered submarine, less than a decade old. The Chinese-made Ming class is modeled after a Russian Romeo-class submarine, which in turn was based on a World War II-vintage German U-boat.
Ming class submarines usually carry around 50 crewmembers, so it is possible, Cole said, that observers or staff officers were also on board when the accident occurred.
The more than a dozen Ming class submarines in China's fleet are essentially obsolete, their weapons and sensor systems several decades out of date. But the vessels remain useful for coastal defense and patrolling duties. China has updated its fleet with the purchase of several Soviet Kilo-class diesel-powered subs.
Copyright © 2003, Los Angeles Times