100 Squadron - The Flying Camel
Israel formed the 100 squadron in June 1949 from the remnants of several groups of light aircraft used prior and during Israel's fighting for independence. The 100 squadron originally contained several Piper L-4s and around 100 PA-18 Piper Super Cub aircraft, which were used to fly liason and supply missions.
In the 1960s, Israel began modernizing the 100 squadron with the Cessna 185 and Cessna 206C, while sending some of the Piper aircraft to flight schoosls. In 1964, West Germany donated several dozen Dornier Do27 aircraft, and in 1971, Israel added a number of Dornier Do28 planes. In 1997, Israel sold off about 20 of its Cessna 206 aircraft to foreign buyers, and also began to introduce the Beech King Air plane to the 100 squadron.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|