Widebody Integrated Platform Protection System [WIPPS]
Widebody Integrated Platform Protection System [WIPPS] is an integration of combat-proven, fully exportable advanced missile warning and threat adaptive countermeasures subsystems. WIPPS utilizes a programmable EW processor and color multi-function display compatible with both military and civil avionics architectures. WIPPS dispenses advanced IR decoys providing highly effective countermeasures against the MANPADS threat. WIPPS may be integrated with DIRCM if backup threat coverage is desired
With more than 500,000 portable IR missiles in the field worldwide, in both military and terrorist hands, commercial and executive civil aircraft operate in increasingly dangerous environments. More than 27 civil aircraft have been downed by portable IR missiles; overall, more than 65 percent of all aircraft losses since 1975 have been due to IR missiles. Currently available for off-the-shelf sale to domestic and foreign customers, the AVISYS WIPPS IRCM suite offers commercial, civil and military aircraft an affordable, robust defense system that meets both military and FAA/JAA certification requirements.
- Imaging UV MWS - Provides rapid threat declaration and precise direction of arrival for the missile
- PD Radar MWS - All-weather pulsed Doppler radar supplies range and time-to-go for the threat missile
- Integrated MWS - Multi-spectral validation offers superior clutter rejection and highest declaration probability with no false alarms
- Advanced Dispenser - Custom dispensing programs maximize IR decoy effectiveness (RF decoys available)
- Integrated Controls/Display - Fully automatic providing improved threat awareness (custom controls available)
- DIRCM Ready - Complementary threat protection
By integrating two of the best missile warning systems available, WIPPS provides very high threat detection performance while dramatically lowering the number of false threat declarations to a statistically insignificant level. This critical improvement has finally made it practical to install these devices on every aircraft using commercial airports. False threat declarations can lead to the inappropriate deployment of countermeasures and potentially could cause an unacceptable disturbance in an urban setting. To overcome this obstacle, WIPPS integrates two advanced missile warning systems, a threat adaptive countermeasures dispensing subsystem, and advanced infrared threat decoys. This integrated self-protection system is a technology breakthrough that provides safe, affordable operation of infrared threat decoys on commercial aircraft. Currently available for off-the-shelf sale to domestic and foreign customers, WIPPS offers an affordable and proven alternative to the more expensive and complex infrared jamming technologies currently being implemented on military transport aircraft.
The MWS-20 Damien is from Thales Systèmes Aéroportés. Thales is supplying the TDS-TA radar warning receiver and MWS-20 missile approach warning system to equip the French Air Force's transport aircraft, aboard which they operate in conjunction with Alkan chaff and flare dispensers.
EADS-LFK (Lenkflugkörpersysteme GmbH) developed the AN/AAR-60 MILDS (Missile Launch Detection System) missile approach warning system. MBDA, leading company in the field of self-protection against missiles, has formed a strategic partnership with EADS-LFK, in order to install the MILDS on various platforms, especially on helicopters. MILDS comprises four to six highly evolved detectors providing high resolution, and high sensitivity without the need for special cooling. Each sensor provides a fully processed signal. This signal contains threat declaration and directional information. MILDS can be fully integrated into existing countermeasure systems or integrated with directed IR countermeasures. It can also be easily installed as a stand-alone system capable of activating a decoy system. MILDS uses passive ultraviolet imaging sensors to detect, track and declare missile threats from information based on the plume emissions created by the propulsion system of the missile.
WIPPS has benefits relative to alternative IRCM solutions:
- Affordability - WIPPS is more affordable than other IR Jamming alternatives Proven Performance - WIPPS equipment comes with extensive military testing against today's modern IR threats
- Robustness - WIPPS provides the most extensive threat protection available today with the highest level of flexibility and growth for protection against future IR threats
- Exportability - WIPPS is fully exportable for international Head-of-State and military applications
- Availability - WIPPS is available today. It can be ordered and installed in the shortest possible schedules
- Airworthiness Certification - WIPPS aircraft modification requirements have been defined to ensure
- FAA/JAA/EASA certification of the installed suite of IRCM equipment
- Supportability - WIPPS subsystems are in production, highly reliable MIL-SPEC systems with world-wide logistics support
The AVISYS team in Austin is currently integrating the WIPPS IRCM suite of equipment. The modified Airbus was flight tested and returned to service later in 2003. The WIPPS equipment installation will be both FAA and JAA certified. WIPPS offers an affordable alternative to the more expensive IR Jamming technologies. WIPPS integrates two advanced missile warning systems, a threat adaptive countermeasures dispensing subsystem, and advanced infrared threat decoys. This integrated self-protection system boasts a technology breakthrough that provides safe, affordable operation of infrared threat decoys on commercial aircraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|