Abbreviations and Acronyms
AAA assign alternate area routing list
AAR assign, accommodate and restore bypass list
AC aternate current
ACI assign call inhibit list
ACN assign and display commercial network routing
ACP assign common pool compressed dial list
ACR assign channel reassignment
ACXN analog call extension
ADA assign directive acknowledgement
ADB assign data base transfer
ADE assign digit editing list
ADP automatic data processor
ADT assign digital transmission group
AEI assign equipment in/out-of-service
AEU assign and display EUB configuration
AFD assign fixed directory routing
AFFOR Air Force forces
AFR assign frequency for network reporting
AFWG Air Force wing group
AG Adjutant General
AGNATO Army group NATO
AIC assign individual compressed dial list
ALCG analog line conditioner group
AM amplitude modulated
ANN assign NNX routing
ANR assign net rekeying
ANX assign NNXX routing
ANY assign NYX routing
AOD assign on-line diagnostics
AOI assign other equipment in/out-of-service
AOR assign and display operator routing
APC assign preprogrammed conference list
APR assign NN routing
ARB assign received bypass list
ARFOR Army forces
ASC assign switch classmarks
ASCP auxiliary special circuits patch panel
ASI assign switch initialization
ASL assign XX routing
ASSP analog scanner signal processor
AST assign secondary traffic channels
ATB all trunks busy
ATG assign trunk group cluster
ATH assign variable thresholds
ATM assign traffic metering
ATS assign terminal service
ATT assign terminal type
AUTOSEVOCOM automatic secure voice communications
AUTOVON automatic voice network
AV AUTOVON telephone
AVL assign variable key location
AVOW analog voice orderwire
AXX assign XXX routing
AZR assign zone restriction
BITE built-in test equipment
BNRID basic net radio interface device
BS bit select
CAP control and alarm panel
CAP/CTL control and alarm panel/control transfer logic
CB common battery
CBS common battery signaling
CBU conference bridge unit
CCS common channel signaling
ccs hundred call seconds
CCS 1 common channel signaling 1 (input)
CCS 2 common channel signaling 2 (output)
CCSD common channel signaling data
CDN compressed dial number
CDO conditioned diphase group
CEDF common equipment distribution frame
CEF common equipment facility
CEG common equipment group
CEMS Communications-Electronics Management System
CEOI Communications-Electronics Operation Instructions
CESE communications equipment support element
CEWI combat electronics warfare intelligence
CG commanding general
CIR common interface rekey
CNCE communications nodal control element
CNCS cryptonet control station
CofS Chief of Staff
COMSEC communications security
COMXC COMSEC transmit controller
CONAUTH controlling authority
COSCOM corps support command
CP command post
CPG central processor group
CPU central processor unit
CSAP call service attendant position
CSCE communications system control element
CSM Command Sergeant Major
CSP call service position
CSPE communications system planning element
CSPMD call service position modem
CSPS circuit switch power subsystem
CTL control transfer logic
CTL 6 control unit 6
CVSD continuously variable slope delta
DA Department of the Army
DAA display alternate area routing lists
DAMP digit analysis
DAS direct access service
DC direct current
DCG deputy commanding general
DCR display channel reassignment
DCS Defense Communications System
DCXN digital call processing
DGM digital group multiplex
DIB digital in-band signaling
DIB 1 digital in-band signaling (input)
DIB 2 digital in-band signaling (output)
DIBTS digital in-band trunk signaling
DIGPM diphase group modem
DILPA diphase loop modem A
DIM digital group or supergroup modem
DINBS digital in-band signaling system
DISCOM division support command
DISGM diphase supergroup modem
DLS display XX routing
DME display major equipment status
DNN display NNX routing
DNVT digital nonsecure voice terminal
DNX display NNXX routing
DNY display NYX routing
DP dial pulsing
DPL dipulse group
DPLSM dipulse group modem
DPR display PR routing
DR digital receiver
DSB digital in-band signaling buffer
DSCNB digital scanner B
DSG digital signal generator
DSVT digital subscriber voice terminal
DTG digital transmission group
DTGP digital trunk group
DTMF dual tone multifrequency
DVM digital, voice, message
DVOW digital voice orderwire
ECOM interprocessor communication
ECU environmental control unit
EM E&M adapter
E&M signaling leads in 6-wire circuit (ear-receive; mouth transmit)
EMP electromagnetic pulse
ENCOM engineer command
ENGBDE engineer brigade
ENH input/output interrupts
ENH 1 input/output program 1
ENH 2 input/output program 2
ENH 3 input/output program 3
EO equal opportunity
EOW engineering orderwire
ESCH executive scheduler
EU essential user
EUB essential user bypass
EW electronic warfare
FDSL fixed directory subscriber list
FDUL fixed directory unit list
1SG first sergeant
FO Flash Override
GCLK group clock
GCS group clock selector
GM group modem
GOS grade of service
GRPBF group buffer
HDX half duplex
HF high frequency
HN home net
HR human relations
HSCDM high speed cable driver modem
HSPR high speed pulse restorer
HUS hardened unique storage
IAC international access code
IG inspector general
IMU intermatrix unit
INID intercept network inward dialing
JANAP Joint Army-Navy-Air Force Publications
JTF joint task force
kbs kilobits per second
KP key pulse
KVM key variable management
LA location address
LB local battery
LCSP local call service position
LDI line driver interface
LGM loop group multiplexer
LKG loop key generator
LO liaison officer
LPCLK loop clock selector
LSCDM low speed cable driver modem
LSPR low speed pulse restorer
LTG local timing generator
LTU line termination unit
MAMA operator/machine program
MASH mobile army surgical hospital
mbs megabits per second
MCA Management Control Agency
MEDCOM medical command
MEDDEP medical depot
MGM master group multiplexer
MI military intelligence
MIBDE military intelligence brigade
MOD 21 type II-1 modem
MOD 22 type II-2 modem
MP master panel
MPBDE military police brigade
MPDU master power distribution unit
MS message switch
MTC magnetic tape controller
MTG master timing generator
MTT magnetic tape transport
MTX-G matrix interface G
MXC matrix controller
MXRCA matrix receiver controller A
NA not authorized
NAC national access code
NATO North Atlantic Treaty Organization
NBC nuclear, biological, chemical
NCMD nine channel multiplex/demultiplex or multiplexer/demultiplexer
NI national identification
NICS NATO Integrated Communications Systems
NIU NATO interface unit
NRZ nonreturn to zero
NSN national stock number
NW normal wideband
NWLTU normal wideband line termination unit
OCU orderwire control unit
OLCOP on-line control and operational program
ONLFD on-line fault detection
PABX private automatic branch exchange
PBI push-button indicator
PBX private branch exchange
PCB printed circuit board
PCBS printed circuit board strap
PEP power entry panel
PERSCOM personnel command
PIP peripheral interface panel
PNID precedence network inward dialing
POC point of contact
PPI processor to processor interface
PR primary zone
PRSL primary switch location
PTC primary traffic channel
PUNT erase memory
RA regional area
RCSP remote call service position
RH reentry home
RLGM remote loop group multiplexer
RLGMCD remote loop group multiplexer cable driver
RMAX routing matrix management program
RMC remote multiplexer combiner
RMU receiver matrix unit
RSBMD remote signaling buffer controller multiplexer/demultiplexer
RWI radio wire integration
SCG switching controller group
SCS silicon-controlled switch
SDMX space division matrix
SDNRIU secure digital net radio interface unit
SDSG space division switching group
SECP on-line maintenance and diagnostics
SEP signal entry panel
SF single frequency
SJA Staff Judge Advocate
SL switch location
SMD switch multiplexer/demultiplexer
SN serial number
SOP standing operating procedure
SPCG special circuits group
SRWBR short-range wideband radio
SSB SYSCON signaling buffer
SST single subscriber terminal
STANAG standardization agreement
STC secondary traffic channel
SWMCT switch memory control
TAA theater Army alternate
TAACOM theater Army area command
TAADCOM theater Army air defense command
TACC tactical air control center
TAMCA Theater Army Movement Control Agency
TAMMC theater Army materiel management center
TASG theater Army support group
TB technical bulletin
TC traffic channel
TCC tactical communications center
TCC(A) theater communications command (Army)
TCCF tactical communications control facility
TDMM time division memory module
TDMX time division matrix
TDSG time division switching group
TDSGM time division switching group modified
TED trunk encryption device
TEM trunk encryption module
TGC trunk group cluster
TGMX trunk group multiplexer
TM technical manual
TOC tactical operations center
TOE table(s) of organization and equipment
TRANSCOM transportation command
TRI-TAC Tri-Service Tactical Communications
TSB trunk signaling buffer
TSBFB trunk signaling buffer B
TTNP tactical telephone numbering plan
ULCS unit level circuit switch
ULMS unit level message switch
VDU visual display unit
VDU/KB visual display unit/keyboard
weco Western Electric Company
XO executive officer
- AC SUPERVISION.
- Indication of off-hook by presence or absence of tones.
- BUSY HOUR.
- That hour in a 24-hour period during which the traffic load offered to a switch is at a maximum.
- CALL FORWARDING.
- Capability to forward a call via an operator.
- CALL TRANSFER.
- Capability of having calls transferred automatically.
- CIRCUIT BOARD.
- Printed circuit card usually capable of being unplugged.
- CIRCUIT CARD.
- Printed circuit boards or printed circuit cards.
- Termination identifier for use, service features, security, classification, restrictions, signaling, and supervision.
- COMMON BATTERY.
- Battery which serves as central source of energy for many circuits.
- COMPRESSED DIALING.
- Ability to dial a 2-digit number to reach another subscriber.
- DC SUPERVISION.
- Indication of off-hook by presence or absence of DC voltage.
- DIRECT ACCESS SERVICE.
- Capability to call a predesignated subscriber by going off-hook.
- Designation of signaling leads at a switch. E for recEiving (Ear). M for transMitting (Mouth).
- Unit of telephone traffic numerically equal to percentage of occupancy of a trunk.
- EXTRASWITCH TRUNK GROUP.
- Interconnects an AN/TTC-39 to a non-AN/TTC-39 switch.
- FRAME RATE.
- The basic channel rate at which the switch operates. Either 16 or 32 kbs.
- The condition that exists when two switches simultaneously attempt to use the same trunk to access each other.
- Probability of a call being blocked.
- HOLDING TIME.
- Elapsed time of a telephone call.
- Consists of the electrical and mechanical connections, and the procedures necessary to make these connections functional.
- INTERSWITCH TRUNK GROUP.
- Interconnects two AN/TTC-39s or AN/TTC-39 and AN/TYC-39.
- A sequence of random binary digits used to set up and/or periodically change the existing electronic key settings in COMSEC equipment.
- Transmission circuit.
- LINE DRIVER INTERFACE.
- Provides logic level conversion from TTL to bipolar voltages.
- LOCAL BATTERY.
- Source of talking power located at subscriber's telephone.
- A circuit from a switch to the subscriber.
- Ability to connect transmit and receive portions at a termination.
- Single unit which combines the function of modulation and demodulation.
- Having dimensions or characteristics which allow expansion or contraction in whole units.
- OBJECTIVE SYSTEM.
- All-digital communication system of the future.
- OFF-HOOK SERVICE.
- Automatic establishment of a connection between specified subscribers by lifting handset.
- ORIGINATING OFFICE CONTROL.
- Routing method where originating office retains control of directing a call.
- PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD.
- Circuit card usually designed to be easily replaceable with boards with different functions. They are called PCB.
- QUEUE PROCESSING.
- Element of software design. Events are queued as they occur and then processed.
- RAMIFICATION MESSAGE.
- A message to the operator showing data base discrepancies and possible results. It also shows when an action cannot be taken.
- (1) Changes made to a circuit switching network. (2) Changes made to a switch (number of matrices, cards, modules and other equipment.)
- Method of signaling where one incoming signal is activated by alternating (ringing) current over the circuit.
- SPILL FORWARD CONTROL.
- Transfer routing control on a call to a succeeding switch by sending forward the complete telephone address.
- TECHNICAL CONTROL (TECH CONTROL).
- Central facilities used for testing, patching, troubleshooting, circuit conducting, status reporting, and technical management.
- The connection of a line to a terminal, a switch, a distribution frame or a matrix.
- Single or multichannel communication patch between switches or switching centers.
- TRUNK GROUP.
- Trunks which have identical characteristics -destination, signaling, and traffic route.
- TRUNK GROUP CLUSTER.
- Set of trunks with different transmission characteristics (including analog and digital types) with the same destination.
- The checking of a data entry to determine its acceptability, size, and range.
- WINK START.
- A timed off-hook signal indicating readiness to receive pulses.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|