30 April 2005 Military News
- FOUR TASK FORCE FREEDOM SOLDIERS KILLED, TWO INJURED
- SOLDIER ASSIGNED TO MARINE UNIT KILLED IN KHALADIYAH
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detain 15 near Bayji MNF-I/MNC-I 30 Apr 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detained 15 individuals and seized 44 assault rifles during a combat patrol northwest of Bayji at about 6:30 p.m.
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detain two in Hawija MNF-I/MNC-I 30 Apr 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detained two individuals for shooting at a Coalition Forces base in Hawija at about 9:45 a.m. April 30.
- Bonhomme Richard Backloads 15th MEU Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) (BHR) completed its mission in the U.S. Central Command area of operations after backloading the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit April 9-16.
- Three Afghan Civilians Killed in Attack on Insurgents AFPS 30 Apr 2005 -- An air strike April 29 against an insurgent camp in Uruzgan province, Afghanistan, resulted in the deaths of four anti-coalition militants and three civilians, coalition officials announced today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Boxer to Surge Deploy in Support of Combined Exercise Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- For the third time in three years, USS Boxer (LHD 4) will deploy April 29 as a clear demonstration of the Fleet Response Plan (FRP). Implemented by the Chief of Naval Operations, the FRP allows the Navy to be responsive in an uncertain world.
- Navy, Industry Celebrate Start-up for E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- The Navy and Northrop Grumman Corp. foreshadowed the future of naval force projection at a "Keel Start" ceremony for the next-generation E-2 aircraft, the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye, April 25.
- USS Gonzalez, Moroccan Navy Steam Together for Exercise Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Gonzalez (DDG 66) completed a combined international exercise with Hassan II (FFL 612) and Muhammed V (FFL 611) of the Moroccan Navy April 3-5.
- BHR's HC-11 Detachment Changes to HSC-21 Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- The "Gunbearers" of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron (HC) 11, Det. 4, embarked aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) (BHR), were re-designated as the "Blackjacks" of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 21, Det. 4 April 1.
- Team Seal Beach Arms Boxer for Surge in Record Time Navy NewsStand 30 Apr 2005 -- The creative talents of two weapons station organizations, along with several other Navy and Marine Corps logistics units, came together in mid-April to prepare for the surge deployment of USS Boxer (LHD 4).
- African Union to Expand Size of Peacekeeping Force in Darfur Washington File 30 Apr 2005 -- The United States "view[s] the African Union as playing a central role in resolving the crisis in Darfur and applaud[s] its commitment to the security and humanitarian needs of the people of this region," says State Department Deputy Spokesman Adam Ereli in a April 29 Statement
- U.S. Commends Rwanda Tribunal Sentencing Washington File 30 Apr 2005 -- The United States is commending the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda for its sentencing on April 28 of Mikaeli Muhimana to life imprisonment for genocide and crimes against humanity.
- Nepal Ends Emergency, But King Keeps Powers VOA 30 Apr 2005 -- Nepal's King Gyanendra has lifted the state of emergency he imposed three months ago when he fired the government and assumed absolute power.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|