Harrisburg International Airport
Harrisburg International Airport (ANG) is home to the 193rd Special Operations Wing and is located in south central Pennsylvania, approximately 105 miles west of Philadelphia and nine miles north-west of Harrisburg. The airport is owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and is operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Bureau of Aviation. The ANG occupies 23 buildings; 15 industrial; 6 administrative; and 2 services, amounting to approximately 295,000 square feet on 36 acres at the east-end of the airport. There are 297 full time personnel on base with a twice a month drill weekend surge to 981 personnel.
Harrisburg International Airport's 9,510 foot runway can be augmented with 1,300 feet of displaced thresholds, allowing for even an aircraft as large as a 747 or the new 777. The facility has served Central Pennsylvania for 100 years. First, in 1898, the Signal Corps of the U.S. Army was stationed here. Then, the first airplanes landed in 1918 at Olmsted Air Force Base. The base grew to 11,400 civilian employees in 1969, when it was decommissioned. At this point, Harrisburg International Airport began to serve the public, under the ownership of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In 1998, the Commonwealth transferred ownership to the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority (SARAA), the board that oversees public ownership of the airport. The Authority board consists of members representing Cumberland, Dauphin and York Counties, the Cities of Harrisburg and York, and Fairview and Lower Swatara Townships.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|