Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


Blackstone AAF / A.C. Perkinson Airport
3704'29"N 7757'48"W

Blackstone AAF / Allen C. Perkinson Municipal Airport serves Blackstone and Nottoway County and is owned by Town Of Blackstone and the US Army. The paved runway extends for 4632 feet. The facility is at an elevation of 439 feet at a distance of about 2 miles from Blackstone.

Air transportation to and from Fort Pickett became available with the completion of a four-runway airfield in late 1942. The tower was placed beside the only hangar built on post, and its steel beam frames and cinder block foundation are still visible today. Since each cement runway was 5,269 feet long and 300 feet wide the Blackstone Army Airfield was large enough to allow the safe landing of the Douglas C-47 "Gooney Bird". Fighter planes could use the runway in an emergency, although none were stationed at the airfield. Aircraft fuel was delivered by rail and contained in fuel trucks, since permanent storage tanks were not constructed until after World War II. The airfield remained virtually unchanged until the 1990's. Renovation and extension of the Blackstone Army Airfield's runways in 1994 allowed use by C-130 and C-17 transport aircraft. This permitted easy access for airmobile troops and equipment coming to Fort Pickett for training.

The Town of Blackstone is located in southeast Nottoway County along US Route 460. Fort Pickett, an Army National Guard maneuver training center, is located east of Blackstone and Norfolk Southern railway runs parallel to Business Route 460 from the eastern corporate limits to the northern corporate limits. Between 1980 and 1998, the population of the Town of Blackstone increased from about 3,600 to 3,800. Nottoway County had an increase in population of three percent between 1980 and 1990.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list