Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant
Volunteer AAP is 12 miles from downtown Chattanooga, and includes 6,681 acres and 405 buildings.
Volunteer AAP was built between 1941 and 1942 to manufacture explosives for World War II. The plant was shut down after the war but reopened during the Korean War. It was again placed into standby status in 1957. In 1965, Volunteer was directed to activate four TNT lines, and during the peak of operations (1967-1969) it produced 30 million pounds of TNT per month.
It has been in standby status since the end of the Vietnam War.
It is now under ICI Americas, Inc., and plans are for tenant companies to operate within the facility.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|