156th Airlift Wing [156th AW]
The mission of the 156th Airlift Wing is to provide global airlift and agile force to execute and accomplish tasked mission. Support Southern Command in theater airlift and joint military exercises while displaying military capabilities and bolster United States ties with our Latin American neighbors.
The Puerto Rico Air National Guard was federally recognized on 23 November 1947.
All PRANG activities were consolidated at the International Airport in May 1956. On 10 April 1958, the 156th Tactical Fighter reorganized into a Fighter Group.
On 1 January 1976, the 156th Tactical Fighter Group converted from F-104 Starfighter to A-7D Corsair. The first A-7s arrived in November and the last in March 1976.
On 1 August 1987, the 156th Tactical Fighter Group reorganized into a Four-Deputy structure according to the new Air National Guard policy.
The unit took part, from 24-28 June 1991, in Granada South exercise, Panama.
From 11-18 August 1991, it deployed to Iquique, Chile for Condor II Exercise and then from 18-24 Aug 1991, to Asuncion with the Paraguayan Air Force for training. From 7-20 September 1991, it deployed to Fortunata II, Volk Field, Wisconsin and then again from 2-6 December 1991, to Granada South, Panama.
From 20 February to 6 March 1993, the unit took part in the "Caminos de Paz" exercise at Golfito, and then deployed from 12-21 Aug 1993, to Asunción, Paraguay, marking its First F-16 Deployment.
From 5-13 November 1994, the unit took part in the Condor III Exercise held in Iquique, Chile.
On 1 Oct 1995, 156th Fighter Group was officially redesignated as Fighter Wing, before taking part from 21-30 October 1995 in Operation Tiger II. This was the first time U.S. Forces had deployed to Brazil since World War II. The 156 FW then deployed to Tyndall AFB from 12-18 November 1995.
The 156 FW held its Mobility Exercise on 20 January 1996 and its Mobility Exercise on 18-19 October 1996. on 14-17 November 1996, the 156 FW took part in Operational Readiness Inspection, Phase I.
In February 1997, the 156th Fighter Wing Mobility Exercise was conducted at Roosevelt Roads, Ceiba. 80% of personnel mobilized to conduct dramatic war time situations. From 19-22 March 1997, the 156th Fighter Wing Operational Readiness Inspection was held at Roosevelt Roads.
On 22 November 1997, Muñiz Air National Guard base received its first C-130s while celebrating its 50th federal recognition Anniversary.
On 10 February 1998, the Air Force announced conversion of the 156th Fighter Wing from F-16A/B aircraft to C-130 aircraft and on 3 March 1998 Last F-16 departed from the 156th Fighter Wing. On 11 September 1998 a ceremony was held to mark the arrival of the first C-130.
On 1 October 1998, the Department of the Air Force issued the official order designating the 156th Fighter Wing as 156th Airlift Wing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|