4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support)
The 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) was inactivated in 2009 as part of the reorganization of the 78th Division (Training Support) to the 78th Training Brigade.
The 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) provided training assistance, support, and evaluation to priority Reserve Component units and all other units within capabilities. It synchronizeD training support within its area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements. On order, the Brigade would activate or augment Mobilization Assistance Teams to assist installation commanders in post-mobilization training and validation of mobilized units for deployment. It could also, on order, deploy a Defense Coordinating Officer and/or a Defense Coordinating Element to coordinate military support to civilian authorities during federal disaster response operations.
The 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 303rd Supply Train and assigned to the 78th Division. The unit was organized between December 1917 and May 1918 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. In France, during the summer and fall of 1918, the 78th Division, including the 303rd Supply Train, was the "point of the wedge" for the final offensive, which knocked out Germany. The 303rd Supply Train was credited with participation in 3 major campaigns during World War I: Meuse-Argonne, St. Mihiel and Lorraine. After the end of the Great War, the unit was demobilized on 5 June 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 3 July 1926 in the Organized Reserves. It was concurrently consolidated with the 78th Division Quartermaster Train, which had been first organized in November 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 78th Division Train, Quartermaster Corps, with Headquarters at Newark, New Jersey and then redesignated 23 March 1925 as the 78th Division Quartermaster Train. The consolidated unit was designated as the 78th Division Quartermaster Train. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1936 as the 403rd Quartermaster Regiment, an element of the 78th Division (later redesignated as the 78th Infantry Division).
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 20 February 1942 as the 403d Quartermaster Battalion and ordered into active military service on 15 August 1942. When it was ordered into active service it was reorganized at Camp Butner, North Carolina. The Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 403rd Quartermaster Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 14 September 1942 as the 778th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company, an element of the 78th Infantry Division. The remainder of the Battalion thereafter had a separate lineage. After 2 years as part of the 78th Infantry Division, the Company embarked for the European Theater of Operations. The Regiment was credited with participation in 3 campaigns in World War II: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the war, the Regiment was inactivated on 22 May 1946 in Germany.
The unit was redesignated on 6 February 1947 as the 778th Ordnance Maintenance Company and activated on 21 February 1947 at Newark, New Jersey. During this period the Organized Reserves was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which in turn was redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The Company remained a part of these organizations throughout the redesignations. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 11 March 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 778th Ordnance Battalion, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The location of Headquarters changed on 9 November 1955 to Kearny, New Jersey and again on 1 November 1957 to Nixon, New Jersey. The Battalion was disbanded entirely on 1 May 1959 at Nixon, New Jersey.
Headquarters, 778th Ordnance Battalion was reconstituted on 24 November 1967 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training) and activated on 31 January 1968 at Nixon, New Jersey. The unit's location changed on 1 March 1975 to Edison, New Jersey and again on 15 December 1992 to Richmond, Virginia. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1993 as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Exercise) and again on 17 October 1999 as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. At that time, the 189th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) was inactivated and reflagged as 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support). The reorganization created a unique unit consisting of Active Component, Army National Guard, civilian, and drilling US Army Reservists. This was part of the Training Support XXI program. The 4th Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) became a tenant unit at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, with Headquarters collocated with that of the 78th Division (Training Support) at the time in Edison, New Jersey (Headquarters, 78th Division later moved to Fort Dix). The Brigade's responsibility was to train, coach, teach and mentor the Reserve and Army National Guard units in North Carolina.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|