72nd Field Artillery Brigade (Training Support)
The mission of the 72nd Field Artillery Brigade is to plan, coordinate, and enable post-mobilization, pre-deployment training in support of specified US Army Reserve, Army National Guard, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard units. On order, the 72nd Field Artillery Brigade provides pre-mobilization training assistance within its capabilities for Army Reserve and Army National Guard units.
The 72nd Field Artillery Brigade was first constituted on 24 October 1917 in the National Army as the 349th Field Artillery and assigned to the 92nd Division. It was organized on 2 November 1917 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. Deployed to Europe for service in the Great War, the 349th Field Artillery participated in the Lorraine, 1918 campaign. After returning from Europe the unit was demobilized on 17 March 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 4 September 1930 in the Organized Reserves as the 349th Field Artillery. It was withdrawn on 1 August 1940 from the Organized Reserves, allotted to the Regular Army, and activated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The 349th Field Artillery's Headquarters and Headquarters Battery was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1943 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 349th Field Artillery Group. The remainder of regiment thereafter had separate lineages. The Group participated in 2 campaigns in World War II in the European Theater of Operations: Rhineland and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 349th Field Artillery Group was inactivated on 26 May 1946 in Germany.
The unit was redesignated on 5 February 1947 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 72d Field Artillery Group. The unit was activated on 17 December 1954 in Germany. The unit was redesignated on 1 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 72nd Artillery Group, on 15 March 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 72nd Field Artillery Group, and on 1 September 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 72nd Field Artillery Brigade. After almost 40 years of service in Germany as part of VII Corps Artillery, the Brigade was inactivated on 15 May 1992 in Germany.
The 72nd Field Artillery Brigade headquarters was activated on 1 December 2006 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland as a training support brigade assigned to Division East, First US Army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|