58th Brigade Combat Team - 29th Infantry Division (Infantry)
3rd Brigade - 29th Infantry Division (Light)
As of July 2006, the 58th Brigade Combat Team (Infantry) of the 29th Infantry Division formerly known as the 3rd Brigade, 29th Infantry Division, had not carried out its trasformation into a modular brigade. The unit was approved for such transformation and will have begun its reorganization by 1 September, 2006.
The 3rd Brigade, 29th Infantry Division, was originally organized on 22 November 1909 in the Maryland National Guard at Baltimore as Company A, Hospital Corps. It was reorganized and redesignated on 19 February 1913 as Field Hospital No. 1.
The unit was mustered into federal service on 29 June 1916 and mustered out on 6 January 1917. It was again mustered into federal service on 25 July 1917, and drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917. It was reorganized and redesignated on 10 October 1917 as Field Hospital Company No. 113, an element of the 29th Division. It was demobilized on 4 June 1919 at Camp Meade, MD.
Reorganized and federally recognized on 12 April 1921 in the Maryland National Guard at Baltimore as Hospital Company No. 1, the unit was redesignated on 10 January 1922 as the 113th Hospital Company, an element of the 29th Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 January 1937 as Company I, 104th Medical Regiment, an element of the 29th Division (later redesignated as the 29th Infantry Division).
The unit was redesignated on 1 December 1939 as Company H, 104th Medical Regiment and inducted into federal service on 3 February 1941 at Baltimore. It was subsequently reorganized and redesignated on 12 March 1942 as the Clearing Company, 104th Medical Battalion. It inactivated on 17 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, NJy.
The unit was reorganized and federally recognized on 30 March 1948 at Baltimore. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1959 as Company B, 104th Medical Battalion, and redesignated again on 1 March 1963 as Company C, 104th Medical Battalion. The unit concurrently relocaed to Pikesville. It relocated again on 22 August 1964 to Baltimore.
It converted and was redesignated on 21 January 1968 as part of Company A, 228th Supply and Transport Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. It was ordered into active federal service on 7 April 1968 at Baltimore; released from active federal service on 12 April 1968 and reverted to state control. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 December 1971 as Detachment 2, Company A, 228th Supply and Transport Battalion.
The unit was relieved on 1 April 1975 from assignment to the 28th Infantry Division and was concurrently consolidated with Headquarters Company, 58th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division; Detachment 2, Company B, 228th Supply and Transport Battalion; Detachment 2, 28th Military Police Company; Detachment 2, 28th Finance Company (organized and federally recognized on 17 November 1959 at Baltimore); and Detachment 2, 28th Adjutant General Company (organized and federally recognized on 1 December 1971 at Baltimore). The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 58th Infantry Brigade. It relocated on 1 October 1981 to Pikesville.
The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 1 July 1985 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Brigade, 29th Infantry Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|