2nd Battalion - 127th Infantry Regiment
The 2nd Battalion, 127th Infantry Regiment, traces its origins to the 4th Infantry Battalion, Wisconsin National Guard.
The 4th Infantry Battalion, Wisconsin National Guard, was organized on 25 April 1884 from Milwaukee companies, expanded and redesignated in 1890 as the 4th Infantry Regiment (four companies transferred to 1st Infantry Regiment 28 April 1898).
The four regiments of the Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry in Federal service for the War with Spain were as follows:
- 1st Infantry mustered in 14 May 1898 at Milwaukee; mustered out 19 October 1898;
- 2d Regiment Infantry mustered on 12 May 1898 at Madison; mustered out 11-21 November 1898;
- 3d Regiment Infantry mustered on 11 May 1898 at Milwaukee; mustered out 4-17 January 1899; and
- 4th Regiment Infantry reorganized by addition of new companies and mustered on 11 July 1898; mustered out 28 February 1899 at Anniston Texas.
They were reorganized on 10 June 1899 as 1st, 2d, and 3d Infantry Regiments in the Wisconsin National Guard.
The 1st, 2d, 3d Infantry Regiments were mustered into Federal service on 30 June 1916 for Mexican Boarder service and mustered out at Ft. Sheridan, IL, on 19 January 1917 (1st), 28 February 1917 (2d), and 14 December 1916 (3d).
The regiments were called into Federal service on 15 July 1917 and drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. They were reorganized and redesignated as the 128th and 127th Infantry on 24 September 1917 at Camp MacArthur, TX, and assigned to the 32d Division.
The units were Disbanded at Camp Grant, IL, on 18 May 1919 (127th) and 19 May 1919 (128th). The 32d Division demobilized on 23 May 1919 at Camp Custer, MI.
The 127th Infantry reconstituted and was reorganized on 1 April 1921 in the eastern portion of Wisconsin and assigned to 32d Division. It was inducted into Federal service on 15 October 1940 at Crandon. (The 32d Division was redesignated on 1 August 1942 as 32d Infantry Division). It inactivated on 28 February 1946 at Fukuoka, Japan.
It was reorganized and Federally recognized on 18 August 1949 with Headquarters and Waukesha, WI. It was reorganized on 15 February 1959 as the 127th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System. The 127th Infantry consisted of the 1st, 2nd, and 3d Battle Groups, elements of the 32d Division.
The 1st, 2nd, and 3d Battle Groups, 127th Infantry were ordered to active Federal service on 15 October 1961 at Appleton, Oshkosh, and Milwaukee respectively. The 1st, 2nd, and 3d Battle Groups, 127th Infantry were released from active Federal service and reverted to State control on 10 August 1962.
The 127th Infantry reorganized on 1 April 1963 to consist of 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|