188th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)
The 188th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)'s mission is to assist in increasing the overall unit proficiency of Reserve component units. The 188th Infantry Brigade accomplishes this by teaching, coaching, mentoring and evaluating Reserve counterparts in the numerous collective, leader and individual tasks that a unit must perform to the Army standard in order to be combat effective.
The training support assistance that the 188th Infantry Brigade can provide is driven by the established priorities for training. Within these priorities there are 3 categories of training assistance: Lane Training, Mobile Training Teams and Functional Assistance. The 188th Infantry Brigade training assistance visits focus on training supported units' Mission Essential Task List-related tasks, designed to improve overall unit readiness and enhance self-sufficiency.
The 188th Infantry Brigade was first constituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 188th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 94th Division. It was organized in December 1921 at Boston, Massachusetts. The unit was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 188th Brigade and its location was changed that year to Worcester, Massachusetts. The unit was again redesignated on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 188th Infantry Brigade and its location changed in 1940 to Springfield, Massachusetts.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 12 February 1942 as the 3rd Platoon, 94th Reconnaissance Troop, 94th Division. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 187th Infantry Brigade was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 94th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 94th Division. The Troop was ordered into active military service on 15 September 1942 and reorganized at Camp Custer, Michigan, as the 94th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 94th Infantry Division. The unit was reorganized and redesignated again on 14 August 1943 as the 94th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations during World War II, the unit participated in 4 campaigns: Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe. After the end of the war, the Troop was inactivated on 7 February 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was redesignated on 6 February 1947 as the 94th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and activated on 13 February 1947 at Boston, Massachusetts. It was reorganized and redesignated again on 21 February 1949 as the 94th Reconnaissance Company. During this period, the organized Reserves were redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which in turn was redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Throughout these redesignations, the Company remained a part of the organization. The Company's location changed 20 March 1953 to Cohasset, Massachusetts and it was inactivated on 1 May 1959 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.
3rd Platoon, 94th Reconnaissance Company was converted and redesignated on 5 November 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 188th Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 94th Infantry Division. The remainder of company was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 187th Infantry Brigade, which thereafter had a separate lineage.
The unit was withdrawn on 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army. Its Headquarters was concurrently activated at Fort Stewart, Georgia as a training support brigade. The 188th Infantry Brigade was very busy with the initial tasks involved with reforming the unit. A new building was constructed on Fort Stewart, Georgia for the Brigade and was occupied in August 1997. The First US Army, the Brigade's higher headquarters, also purchased new furniture and computers for the Brigade's use. The battalions of the Brigade initially had to train and certify all the soldiers in their units to be Observer-Controller/Trainers to the First US Army Standard. This was accomplished prior to the Brigade's undertaking of its first training support mission in the 2nd quarter of 1998.
Being a tenant unit at Fort Stewart, Georgia, the 188th Infantry Brigade was involved in many installation and 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) activities. The Brigade had established a solid reputation in Post sports competition. During the "Marne Week" sports competition, the soldiers of the Brigade participated in numerous sports and military skills events. The Brigade consistently placed in the top 3 positions of virtually every event, earning the "Division Commander's Cup" for the entire Post. This was a huge accomplishment that earned the 188th Infantry Brigade the admiration and respect of the entire community.
The majority of the Army National Guard units that the Brigade supported conducted their annual training in the spring and summer months at Fort Stewart. This fact kept the 188th Infantry Brigade totally committed during these high density periods. The Brigade trainers were busy conducting such diverse missions as tank gunnery crew evaluations, scout platoon screen mission exercises, small arms marksmanship instruction, dismounted infantry ambush and platoon defense exercises, as well as field artillery and aviation training. The Brigade also trained Reserve units in the medical, quartermaster, communications, and other combat service support functions.
As of 1998, there were 248 soldiers assigned to the Brigade in 5 training support battalions and the Brigade Headquarters. The 188th Infantry Brigade supported the training of over 5,000 Army National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers in infantry, armor, cavalry, aviation, artillery, communications, medical, maintenance, and supply units.
The Brigade was composed entirely of active duty senior non-commissioned officers and officers who conducted training assistance and evaluations for a variety of combat arms, combat support and combat service support units in the First US Army's area of responsibility. The Brigade's mission was to assist in increasing the overall unit proficiency of priority Reserve Component units. The Brigade accomplished this by teaching, coaching, mentoring, and evaluating the Reserve counterparts in the numerous collective, leader, and individual tasks that a unit had to perform to the Army standard in order to be combat effective.
As part of the Training Support XXI program and the restructuring of continental US training elements in the First and Fifth US Armies, the 157th Infantry Brigade was inactivated on 16 October 1999 at Fort Stewart, Georgia.
Further changes to the structure of continental US training elements as part of the reorganization and redesignation of Fifth US Army as US Army, North (ARNORTH), led to the reactivation on 1 December 2006 of Headquarters, 188th Infantry Brigade at Fort Stewart, Georgia. There it again assumed the role of training support brigade as part of Division East, First US Army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|