South Korea has 'no plans' to redeploy U.S. tactical nuclear missiles
MOSCOW, November 23 (RIA Novosti) - South Korea will not seek the return of U.S. tactical nuclear missiles over fears that the move could scupper international efforts to persuade North Korea to halt its nuclear program, South Korean deputy defense minister Chang Kwang-il said on Tuesday.
"Redeploying U.S. tactical nuclear weapons in South Korea would cross the line of the denuclearization policy on the Korean Peninsula," Chang told the Yonhap news agency.
He added that "South Korea has had no talks with the United States over the issue." His remarks are apparently at odds with those of his boss, South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-young, who told a parliamentary committee on Tuesday that deployment of US tactical nuclear weapons would be "reviewed" by a joint US-Korean committee.
Chang's comments came after North Korea launched an attack on a South Korean island earlier in the day, killing at least one serviceman and seriously injuring three. South Korea retaliated.
Seoul said the attack could have been in response to military drills it was carrying out in the area.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|