October 2008 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- US, South Korean Troops Plan to Rehearse Massive Amphibious Landing VOA 29 Oct 2008 -- US and S Korean military officials confirm the 2 allied nations planning a major military drill.
- N.Korea threatens South over propaganda leaflets RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2008 -- N Korea warned it would carry out military strikes against the South if activists continue to send propaganda leaflets.
- North Korea Threatens to Turn South Into 'Debris' VOA 28 Oct 2008 -- N Korea is warning S Korea of a pre-emptive strike that will turn the South into "debris," if Seoul does not stop "a policy of confrontation."
- North Korea Warns South Over Leaflets From Private Groups VOA 27 Oct 2008 -- N Korea warned S Korea it may suspend a key inter-Korean industrial project if civic groups do not stop launching leaflets into the North.
- Two Koreas to Hold Military Talks VOA 25 Oct 2008 -- North and South Korea have agreed to hold military talks to discuss unsettled issues, including improving military hotlines between the two nations.
- Russia, S.Korea meet for talks on N.Korea nuclear issue RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2008 -- The Russian and S Korean representatives at talks on N Korea's nuclear disarmament met to coordinate their positions.
- South Korea Checking Reports of Coming North Korean Announcement VOA 18 Oct 2008 -- S Korean authorities checking reports that N Korean diplomats ordered to await major government announcement.
- DoD Press Briefing with Secretary Gates and Minister of National Defense Lee Sang-hee from the Pentagon Briefing Room, Arlington, VA US Dept. of Defense 17 Oct 2008 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates and Minister of National Defense, Republic of Korea Lee Sang-hee
- U.S., Korean Leaders Reaffirm Mutual Defense Treaty AFPS 17 Oct 2008 -- US and South Korean defense officials reaffirmed commitment to strong defense alliance.
- Korea-U.S. Security Meeting Joint Communique Announced US Dept. of Defense 17 Oct 2008 -- Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates and Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense Lee Sang-hee issued a joint communiqué today following the 40th Republic of Korea U.S. Security Consultative Meeting (SCM).
- Koreas Hold First High-Level Military Talks of 2008 VOA 2 Oct 2008 -- Talks between North and South Korean military officials held along the border separating the 2, the first such contact in more than 8 months.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|