Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2012 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Russia to Take Every Effort to Return Russians Detained in Libya – Lavrov RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2012 -- Russia will spare no effort to return Russian nationals detained in Libya, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Libya: UN mission welcomes start date for registration of voters, candidates UN News Centre 26 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations mission in Libya today welcomed the announcement by the country's electoral authorities of the start date for the registration of voters and candidates for the upcoming polls to choose members of the National Congress.
- Former Libyan Rebel Sues Britain Over Torture Claim VOA 26 Apr 2012 -- A commander of the Libyan rebel forces that helped to oust Moammar Gadhafi last year claims British intelligence services played a key role in his capture and alleged CIA rendition back to Libya in 2004, where he says he was tortured. His lawyers say the case reveals the murky links between Western governments and Gadhafi before the 2011 uprising.
- Libya, Iraq Want to Buy Russian Arms - Rogozin RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Libya and Iraq continue to show interest in buying Russian-made weaponry despite regime changes in these countries, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Tuesday.
- ICC Says Libya Has Evidence Qaddafi Son Hired Mercenaries RFE/RL 20 Apr 2012 -- Evidence links a captured son of late ruler Muammar Qaddafi to recruiting mercenaries and executing people.
- Russia Delivers Humanitarian Aid to Libya RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- The Russian emergencies ministry’s plane landed in the Libyan capital Tripoli to deliver humanitarian aid.
- ICC Chief Prosecutor Visits Libya To Discuss Qaddafi's Son RFE/RL 18 Apr 2012 -- ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo has arrived in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, to follow up on the case of Muammar Qaddafi's captured son, Seif al-Islam.
- Libya 'Signals' Readiness to Cooperate with Russia – Putin RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- The new Libyan authorities have signaled their readiness to continue economic cooperation with Russia, president-elect Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
- ICC Wants Kadhafi Son Seif al-Islam Handed Over VOA 06 Apr 2012 -- A human rights lawyer says Libyan authorities are obligated to turn Seif al-Islam over to the International Criminal Court for prosecution.
- Ukrainians Accused Of Helping Libya's Qaddafi Forces RFE/RL 05 Apr 2012 -- Twenty Ukrainians have gone on trial in Libya, charged with assisting the forces of Muammar Qaddafi.
- Ukrainians Accused of Abetting Gaddafi Troops RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- A military court in Tripoli charged 20 Ukrainian nationals with aiding troops supporting deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
- Libya: UN mission voices concern over violence UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations mission in Libya expressed deep concern over the recent intensification of violence in three towns in the north-west.
- New Libya Govt 'Hard to Talk With' - Lavrov RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Libya's governing National Transitional Council (NTC) is "difficult to negotiate with," Russia Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list