Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2009 Israel Special Weapons News
- Israeli Police Arrest Nuclear Whistleblower VOA 29 Dec 2009 -- Israeli police have arrested nuclear whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu for allegedly violating a ban on speaking to foreigners.
- Elbaradei Reports On Global Nuclear Activity VOA 04 Nov 2009 -- International Atomic Energy Agency chief ElBaradei has given what amounts to his final report on global nuclear activity.
- Relations Between Turkey, Israel Continue to Falter VOA 27 Oct 2009 -- For more than a decade Turkey and Israel have enjoyed close military cooperation including joint naval exercises that have taken place since they signed a military cooperation agreement in 1996. But relations between the two countries have cooled since Ankara criticized Israel's offensive in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip in December and January.
- Israel, Iran Reportedly Held Secret Nuclear Talks VOA 22 Oct 2009 -- Several eyewitnesses and news reports say Israeli and Iranian representatives spoke directly during multi-national conference.
- Israel, U.S. to start joint air defense exercises RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2009 -- Israel and the United States will start large-scale joint air defense drills on Wednesday.
- Maryland Scientist Charged with Attempted Espionage US Dept. of Justice 19 Oct 2009 -- A Maryland scientist who once worked in varying capacities for the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has been arrested for attempted espionage.
- Turkey-Israel Row Could Signal Geopolitical Change In Region RFE/RL 16 Oct 2009 -- Turkish PM Erdogan: Decision to bar Israel from taking part in NATO military exercises based on "diplomatic sensitivities" and public opinion in his country.
- Russia's Lavrov calls on Israel, Iran to normalize ties RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM: Russia calls on Israel and Iran to normalize relations and believes this is possible.
- Russian President Says Israel Not Planning to Strike Iran VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Dmitri Medvedev says Israeli officials have assured him that they are not planning a military strike on Iran.
- Israel won't strike Iran - Russia's Medvedev RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Israel will not strike Iran, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Iran Warning: Israel's Nuclear Sites Within Reach VOA 25 Jul 2009 -- Iran's Revolutionary Guards corps is warning it will respond to any attack by Israel with a strike on nuclear sites in the Jewish state.
- Arrow Missile Defense Test Conducted in the US Israel Aerospace Industries 23 Jul 2009 -- The following announcement was issued by Israel's Ministry of Defence spokesman on July, 23th, 2009
- Britain Revokes 5 Arms Export Licenses to Israel VOA 13 Jul 2009 -- Israeli and British officials: Britain has revoked licenses from several companies that export arms to Israel.
- Russia criticizes U.S. vice president's Israel-Iran remarks RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2009 -- Russia condemns remarks by US VP Biden that Israel could attack Iran if it saw fit.
- Israel still mulls preventative strike on Iran - Russian expert RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2009 -- Israel has not yet decided if it would be right and necessary to launch a preventive strike.
- Israel's PM Says He Would Accept a Demilitarized Palestinian State VOA 14 Jun 2009 -- Israeli PM Netanyahu would accept a Palestinian state as long as it has no military force and recognizes Israel.
- Israel Says Iran Election Results Raise Nuclear Threat VOA 13 Jun 2009 -- Israel concerned about the re-election of hardline Iranian President Ahmadinejad, saying it will increase regional tensions and instability.
- Israeli foreign minister says no plans to strike Iran RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2009 -- Israel has no plans to launch a missile attack on Iran despite Tehran's global threat.
- Israeli FM: No Plans to Bomb Iran VOA 03 Jun 2009 -- Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman says his country has no plans to bomb Iran.
- Israel's Ultra-Nationalist Party to Propose Loyalty Oath VOA 25 May 2009 -- Israeli FM Lieberman's ultra-nationalist party plans to introduce a bill that would require Israelis to pledge loyalty to Israel.
- Larijani: Iran will never recognize Zionist regime IRNA 18 May 2009 -- Majlis Speaker Larijani: Under no circumstances will the Islamic Republic of Iran recognize the Zionist regime.
- Gates Tells Middle East Allies Not to Worry VOA 15 May 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates sought to reassure moderate Arab countries during last week's trip to the Middle East.
- Israeli Air Force uses Russian warplanes for pilot training RIA Novosti 14 May 2009 -- The Israeli Air Force is currently using Soviet-designed MiG-29 Fulcrum fighters for pilot training.
- Delegation outlines Iran's views on weapons-free Middle East IRNA 11 May 2009 -- The Iranian delegation participating in Non-Proliferation Treaty meeting outlined Tehran's views on the issues.
- Israeli President Warns Of Iran's Nuclear Push VOA 04 May 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres says that Iran's nuclear activities threaten the United States, Europe and Arab nations, as well as Israel.
- Poll: Majority of Jewish Israelis Favor Strike on Iran VOA 04 May 2009 -- A new Israeli opinion survey says the majority of Israeli Jews favor a military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.
- Police Bust Arab Terror Cell in Northern Israel VOA 30 Apr 2009 -- Israel says it has smashed an Arab terror cell planning a wave of attacks.
- Ehud Barak: It is very difficult to deal with Iran's nuclear program IRNA 28 Apr 2009 -- Defense Minister of the Zionist regime Ehud Barak has described Iran's peaceful nuclear program as very complicated.
- Iran protests to UN Security Council over Israel threats IRNA 15 Apr 2009 -- Iran's permanent representative to the UN strongly protested over statements about Iran's peaceful nuclear program.
- Improved Arrow Missile Destroys Target in Latest Test of the System Israel Aerospace Industries 07 Apr 2009 -- The following announcement was issued by Israel's Ministry of Defence spokesman on April 7th, 2009
- UN Rights Expert Accuses Israel of War Crimes VOA 23 Mar 2009 -- A special U.N. investigator says Israel's military assault on the densely populated Gaza Strip appears to constitute a war crime.
- IRGC: Nuclear sites of Zionist regime within range of Iran's missiles IRNA 04 Mar 2009 -- IRGC Commander Major General Jafari: Zionists' nuclear sites and facilities are within range of Iranian missiles.
- Israel calls completion of Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant 'bad news' RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2009 -- Israel's FM: completion of Iran's first nuclear power plant is "bad news" for the whole world.
- Israel's Peres Urges New Parliament to Reach Peace VOA 24 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Peres urged the country's new parliament to reach a peace deal with the Palestinians by the end of its four-year term.
- Israel's Netanyahu Fails to Persuade Barak to Join Coalition VOA 23 Feb 2009 -- Israel's PM-designate Netanyahu has failed to persuade the leader of a center-left party to join him in a national unity government.
- Netanyahu to Form New Israeli Government VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres Friday asked right-wing leader Benjamin Netanyahu to form Israel's next government.
- Israeli President Asks Netanyahu to Form New Government VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres has asked right-wing leader Benjamin Netanyahu to form the next Israeli government.
- Netanyahu Wins Key Backing in Israeli PM Contest VOA 19 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres is wrapping up consultations with political parties before he announces his decision on next Prime Minister.
- Will Israeli Politics Set Back Peace Process? VOA 17 Feb 2009 -- FM Livni's Kadima Party has a one seat lead over the Likud Party, led by former PM Netanyahu.
- IAEA Chief: Israel Impedes Nuclear Disarmament VOA 17 Feb 2009 -- Head of UN nuclear agency: Israel's refusal to sign nuclear weapons non-proliferation treaty undermines treaty's legitimacy in Arab public opinion.
- Final Israeli Election Results Bring Political Uncertainty VOA 13 Feb 2009 -- Final results have been announced in Israeli elections.
- Netanyahu Likely to Form New Israeli Coalition VOA 12 Feb 2009 -- Israeli election officials are continuing to tallying votes before announcing the final results of parliamentary elections.
- Arabs Pessimistic About Israeli Elections VOA 11 Feb 2009 -- Arab newspapers and Palestinians are expressing dissatisfaction and pessimism at Israel's election results.
- Israel in Political Limbo As Livni, Netanyahu Each Claim Victory VOA 11 Feb 2009 -- Israel in political uncertainty following elections in which hardliner Netanyahu and centrist Livni are each claiming victory.
- Israeli parliamentary election rivals both claim victory RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2009 -- Centrist Kadima party and the opposition right-wing Likud party both claimed victory in Israel's early parliamentary polls.
- Israeli Exit Polls Give Livni's Kadima Small Lead VOA 10 Feb 2009 -- Israeli exit polls indicate FM Livni's centrist Kadima Party has a narrow lead over the nationalist Likud Party in Israel's parliamentary election.
- Israelis go to polls to set path for Palestinian relations RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2009 -- Israelis began voting in parliamentary elections that will decide who replaces Ehud Olmert as prime minister.
- Polls Open in Tight Israeli Election VOA 10 Feb 2009 -- Security is on the minds of voters in Israel as they cast ballots in national elections.
- Israel Heads to Elections as Gaza Violence Continues VOA 09 Feb 2009 -- This is the last day of campaigning in Israel, where voters on Tuesday are to elect a new Prime Minister.
- Israel's Livni pledges peace talks with Palestinians RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2009 -- Israeli FM Livni has pledged to resume peace talks should she win parliamentary elections and be appointed premier.
- Lebanese Doubtful Israel Election Will Improve Relations VOA 09 Feb 2009 -- Israelis go to the polls in general elections with hard-liner Benjamin Netanyahu expected to become the country's next prime minister.
- Final Polls Show Close Race in Israeli Elections VOA 06 Feb 2009 -- Final polls show a tight race ahead of Israeli elections next week.
- Hardliner Netanyahu Poised to Become Israel's New Prime Minister VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- Public opinion polls before Israel's national elections have consistently shown former Prime Minister Netanyahu in the lead.
- Israel: 'Time Running Out' After Iran Satellite Launch VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- Israel says Iran's satellite launch is a "technological achievement" that points to a growing nuclear threat.
- Israeli Opposition Leader Vows to Crush Hamas if Elected VOA 03 Feb 2009 -- Israeli opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to crush Hamas if he is elected prime minister in next week's elections.
- Weakened uranium in Israeli weapons against Gazans IRNA 21 Jan 2009 -- OIC ambassadors meeting in Vienna by sending a letter to IAEA declared there is evidence that Israel has used weakened uranium.
- India to buy balloon-mounted radars from Israel RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2009 -- The Indian Navy is to buy 2 airborne radars from Israel to fill vital gaps in the country's coastal security system.
- Attack on Mumbai Jewish Center Raises Questions About Israeli-Indian Military Ties VOA 16 Jan 2009 -- Militant who attacked a Jewish community center in Mumbai called local television during assault to complain about Israel providing military support in Kashmir.
- IRGC: Zionists nuclear center within range of Palestinian missiles IRNA 12 Jan 2009 -- IRGC Brigadier General Assadi: Zionist regime feels danger as nuclear center now within range of Palestinian missiles.
- Hamas secret weapon aimed at Tel Aviv? Russia Today 07 Jan 2009 -- The 'secret weapon' that Hamas has hinted at unleashing before the Gaza fighting is over is apparently a long-range rocket.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list