Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2012 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Charged With Murdering Six Judges RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's judiciary has said the country's fugitive Sunni vice president, Tariq al-Hashemi, has been charged with murdering six judges and a series of other killings.
- UN reparations panel pays out over $1 billion for Iraq's invasion of Kuwait UN News Centre 26 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC), which settles the damage claims of those who suffered losses due to Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, today made a total of $1.02 billion available to six successful claimants.
- Al-Qaeda Branch Claims Responsibility For Iraq Bomb Spree RFE/RL 20 Apr 2012 -- Al-Qaeda's branch in Iraq has claimed responsibility for a spate of bomb attacks across the country.
- Russian, Iraqi-Kurd Politicians Seek Closer Ties RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2012 -- Russian lawmakers have moved to establish closer ties with Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan region.
- UN envoy urges Iraqis to remain steadfast against threats UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq has called on the Iraqi people to remain steadfast amid attempts to derail the country’s quest for democracy and stability.
- Dozens Killed in Iraq Bombings VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- A series of explosions rocked the Iraqi capital Baghdad and other parts of the country, killing at least 35 people and wounding more than 100 others.
- Spate Of Bomb Blasts Hit Baghdad, Other Iraqi Cities RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- A series of about 10 bomb blasts have been reported in Baghdad and several other Iraqi cities.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Meets Kurdish Leader In Istanbul RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive vice president has met in Istanbul with Massud Barzani, the leader of the Iraqi semiautonomous Kurdish region.
- Iraqi Kurdish Region President, Turkish Officials Meet, Discuss Syria VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The head of the Iraqi Kurdish region, Masoud Barzani, is visiting Turkey in a deepening of relations built on trade and growing shared regional interests.
- Iraqi leaders must work together to resolve outstanding issues UN News Centre 10 Apr 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy to Iraq underscored the need for the country’s leaders to work together to resolve outstanding issues.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Says PM Targeting Sunnis RFE/RL 05 Apr 2012 -- Fugitive Iraqi VP al-Hashimi has accused PM al-Maliki of waging a systematic campaign against Iraq's minority Sunni Arabs.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Leaves Qatar RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive Sunni vice president has reportedly left Qatar after a four day visit.
- Car Bomb Kills Five North Of Baghdad RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Reports from central Iraq say a car bomb apparently targeting a local police chief has killed five civilians and wounded at least 10 other people.
- Iraq Says Iran Wants Nuclear Talks In Baghdad RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry says Iran has proposed holding the next round of talks with six world powers on Tehran's disputed nuclear program next week in Iraq, instead of Turkey.
- Qatar Refuses To Hand Over Fugitive Iraqi Vice President RFE/RL 03 Apr 2012 -- The Sunni-led Gulf kingdom of Qatar has rejected Iraq's request to hand over the nation's fugitive Sunni vice president to face terror charges in Baghdad.
- Iraq Calls On Qatar To Hand Over Fugitive Vice President RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's deputy prime minister has called on Qatar to hand over a fugitive vice president to face terror charges in Baghdad.
- Baghdad Accuses Kurdish Region of Withholding Oil Payments RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Baghdad has accused the Kurdistan Regional Government in northern Iraq of withholding billions of dollars in oil payments.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list