Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 September 2004 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Failed attack on Abu Ghraib prison leaves 1 insurgent dead, 7 captured MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Sep 2004 -- A coordinated attack Sunday on the Abu Ghraib prison complex included an early-morning mortar attack, a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device and small-arms fire, resulting in the death of one insurgent and the capture of seven others believed to be involved in the attack.
- IRAQ/FIGHTING VOA 12 Sep 2004 -- Fighting has erupted across Baghdad, starting with several pre-dawn blasts in the Green Zone, the protected area where offices belonging to the Iraqi interim government, coalition forces and foreign embassies are located. At least 35 Iraqis are reported dead in a day-long series of attacks.
- IRAQ/FIGHTING VOA 12 Sep 2004 -- Fighting has erupted across Baghdad, starting with several pre-dawn blasts in the Green Zone, the protected area where offices belonging to the Iraqi interim government, coalition forces and foreign embassies are located. At least 22 Iraqis are reported dead in a day-long series of attacks.
- JOINT OPERATIONS TO RETURN SECURITY TO IRAQI SECURITY FORCES CONTINUE IN TAL AFAR CENTCOM 12 Sep 2004 -- Joint operations continue in Tal Afar today to remove the foreign fighters who have forced the citizens of Tal Afar from their city.
- BRADLEY FIGHTING VEHICLE DESTROYED IN ATTACK CENTCOM 12 Sep 2004 -- A Multi-National Force Bradley Fighting Vehicle was destroyed during an attack this morning at approximately 6:50 on Hayfa Street near the International Zone in Baghdad.
- Heavy Fighting Rages in Baghdad RFE/RL 12 Sep 2004 -- The clashes broke out on Haifa Street in central Baghdad as the U.S. military pressed on with new offensives aimed at retaking control of insurgent-held areas.
- Three Polish Troops Killed in Iraq RFE/RL 12 Sep 2004 -- Poland's military says attackers killed three Polish troops near the Iraqi town of Hillah today.
- 1ST BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM TRANSFERS AUTHORITY CENTCOM 12 Sep 2004 -- The 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division transferred authority to the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division in a Sept. 11 ceremony here.
- Attacks Won't Stop Iraqi Elections, Rice Says AFPS 12 Sep 2004 -- Many other milestone events have taken place in Iraq despite violence in the country, and this winter's scheduled elections are "entirely possible," the president's national security adviser said today.
- BUSH/IRAQ VOA 12 Sep 2004 -- Top Bush administration officials say a plan is in place to deal with insurgents in Iraq. The president's foreign policy advisors stress the insurgency will not derail Iraqi elections scheduled for early 2005.
- IRAQ EDUCATION VOA 12 Sep 2004 -- A top Iraqi Education Official tells VOA that instability is hampering Iraq's efforts to rebuild its shattered education system and that fear is preventing many children from going to school. The official has expressed his concerns at a UNESCO-sponsored conference on education held in Geneva.
- BAYJI POWER PLANT IMPROVEMENTS CONTINUE CENTCOM 12 Sep 2004 -- The 1st Infantry Division's Engineers Electricity Ministry Team is currently overseeing a series of improvement projects at the power plant here. Construction is underway on a health care center that will service more than 4,000 employees and family members of employees of the Bayji Power Plant.
- ITALY/IRAQ VOA 12 Sep 2004 -- Italy's Foreign Minister Franco Frattini (Sunday) said he will travel to the Middle East to push ahead with efforts aimed at securing the release of two female aid workers taken hostage in Iraq. The decision followed an ultimatum published on an Islamist Web site demanding Italy withdraw its troops from Iraq within 24 hours.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list