Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2008 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- US Envoy Hopes 'Conversation' in N. Korea Will Save Nuclear Deal VOA 30 Sep 2008 -- Washington's main envoy in talks aimed at getting rid of North Korea's nuclear weapons is in South Korea.
- Single-Minded Unity of Korea, Treasured Sword for Sure Victory KCNA 30 Sep 2008 -- The single-minded unity is the symbol of Juche Korea and true feature of her people.
- Frontrankers in Mass Technical Innovation Movement KCNA 30 Sep 2008 -- The flames of the mass technical innovation movement is blazing higher in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea which has set it as one of the three pillars for the building of a great, prosperous and powerful nation to attach importance to science and technology.
- U.S. Bellicose Forces' Reckless Scenario for Preemptive Attack under Fire KCNA 30 Sep 2008 -- It is sheer nonsense for the U.S. to paint the additional deployment of its land forces in the Pacific and the deployment of its nuclear-powered carrier in Japan as a "measure to bolster the war deterrent".
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Holding High Banner of June 15 Joint Declaration KCNA 30 Sep 2008 -- The June 15 joint declaration is a programme for reunification common to the nation and a landmark of national reunification as it reflects the will and desire of all the Koreans for independent reunification, says Rodong Sinmun Monday in a signed article.
- Simultaneous Census to Be Held in DPRK KCNA 29 Sep 2008 -- A simultaneous census of population is to be held in the DPRK from October 1 to 15, Juche 97 (2008).
- Imperialists' High-Handed and Arbitrary Practices Flailed KCNA 29 Sep 2008 -- The high-handed and arbitrary practices of the imperialists have reached an extreme phase on the international arena. Their ambition for hegemony can never come true as it is an anachronistic daydream.
- Rodong Sinmun on Advancing June 15 Era of Reunification KCNA 29 Sep 2008 -- There is a raging anti-reunification storm in the way of the June 15 era of reunification, but nobody can check the trend of the nation's history towards justice, stresses Rodong Sinmun in a by-lined article today.
- U.S. and S. Korean Bellicose Forces' Moves for Invading DPRK Flayed KCNA 29 Sep 2008 -- If the U.S. and the south Korean bellicose forces ignite a war of aggression against the DPRK, they will suffer incomparably graver punishment than they did in the war of the 1950s, warns Minju Joson Sunday in a signed commentary.
- US Sends Top Envoy to North Korea to Try to Save Nuclear Deal VOA 29 Sep 2008 -- The US is sending a senior diplomat to salvage the troubled six-party accord, under which N Korea to scrap its nuclear program.
- North Korea Weekly (Sept. 22-28, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 910 (September 22 to 28, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- DPRK committed to peaceful resolution of nuclear issue, UN told UN News 27 Sep 2008 -- Senior DPRK Official: Country hopes to resolve nuclear programme issues peacefully, but will take action in response to moves by the US.
- Central Zoo Resembling "Natural Zoo" KCNA 27 Sep 2008 -- The Central Zoo located at the foot of Mt. Taesong in Pyongyang has been rebuilt.
- Shipping Services of DPRK KCNA 27 Sep 2008 -- Korea surrounded by seas on three sides is directing special attention to shipping services.
- Anniversary of Juche-Oriented System of Awarding State Academic Degrees and Titles Observed KCNA 26 Sep 2008 -- The 60th anniversary of the Juche-oriented system of awarding state academic degrees and titles has been marked in the DPRK.
- "Complete Collection of Kim Il Sung's Works" Vol. 76 Off Press KCNA 26 Sep 2008 -- "Complete Collection of Kim Il Sung's Works" Vol.76 was published by the Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work Observed KCNA 26 Sep 2008 -- Rodong Sinmun Thursday dedicates a signed article to the anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's publication of famous work "Let Us March Forward Dynamically along the Road of Socialism and Communism under the Unfurled Banner of the Anti-Imperialist Struggle".
- U.S. Accused of Massively Beefing up Its Aggression Forces in and around Korea KCNA 26 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. imperialists are now massively beefing up their naval and air forces and rapid task forces in south Korea and around the Korean Peninsula to stifle the DPRK by force of arms, according to a military source.
- US, Russia To Continue Cooperation on Iran, North Korea, Despite Georgia Dispute VOA 25 Sep 2008 -- Senior U.S. and Russian officials say the two powers will continue cooperation on ending the Iranian and North Korean nuclear programs despite their bitter disagreement over Russian intervention in Georgia
- U.S. Warmongers' Scheme for Preemptive Attack Flailed KCNA 25 Sep 2008 -- The commander of the U.S. forces present in south Korea recently blustered that it is needed to streamline the procedure for the deployment of reinforcements from the U.S. mainland in the "event of contingency" on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPR Korea cuts off UN atomic watchdog agency's access to nuclear facilities UN News Centre 24 Sep 2008 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will restart nuclear activities at its reprocessing plant in Yongbyon, shut down last year, and is terminating the United Nations atomic watchdog agency's access to the facilities, it was announced today.
- Backgrounder: North Korea After Kim cfr.org 24 Sep 2008
- Danger of Military Exercises of U.S. and S. Korean Puppet Armed Forces Flailed KCNA 24 Sep 2008 -- Leading newspapers today carry a military commentator's article disclosing the dangerous nature of the reckless war exercises of the U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet armed forces which may lead to confrontation and war.
- U.S. Branded as Destroyer of World Peace and Security KCNA 24 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. should admit crimes it has committed as the world's worst spreader of WMDs, chieftain of sparking off arms race and wrecker of peace, and face stern punishment by mankind, says Minju Joson today in a signed commentary.
- N.Korea expels nuclear inspectors, plans to restore reactor RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2008 -- The United Nations nuclear watchdog said on Wednesday that North Korea had expelled international nuclear inspectors and will start work on restoring its Yongbyon reactor, largely dismantled as part of an international deal.
- UN Says N. Korea Ejects Inspectors From Nuclear Reprocessing Plant VOA 24 Sep 2008 -- North Korea has taken dramatic steps toward fulfilling its threat to resume production of nuclear weapons material.
- Former Weapons Inspector Says IAEA Should Be In On North Korea Talks RFE/RL 23 Sep 2008 -- North Korea is asking the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to remove the seals from its Yongbyon nuclear plant, a first step toward resuming the nuclear weapons program that it had agreed to end.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-il makes 'slight recovery' RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2008 -- North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il, whose reported illness has sparked fears of instability in the communist state, has made a partial recovery, South Korea's intelligence chief said on Tuesday.
- Pyongyang unseals Yongbyon reactor - South Korean media RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2008 -- North Korea removed seals from its nuclear reactor at Yongbyon, South Korean media reported.
- Collection of Reminiscences "Among the People" Vol. 75 Off Press KCNA 22 Sep 2008 -- The Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House brought out a collection of reminiscences "Among the People" Vol. 75.
- Rodong Sinmun on Demonstration of Single-Minded Unity KCNA 22 Sep 2008 -- The drive to glorify the 60th anniversary of the DPRK as a grand festival of victors was a historic advance that strikingly demonstrated the DPRK's might of single-minded unity that has grown stronger in the course of the Songun revolution.
- Rodong Sinmun on Originality of Songun Politics KCNA 22 Sep 2008 -- The originality of the Songun politics of the Workers' Party of Korea, which opened up a new path in socialist politics, is expressed in the fact that this politics put forward the Korean People's Army as the core detachment, the main force of the revolution, says Rodong Sinmun Sunday in a signed article.
- North Korea Weekly (September 16-21, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 909 (September 15 to 21, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts U.S. for Putting on Hold Effectuation of Its Measure KCNA 20 Sep 2008 -- spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA Friday as regards the U.S. act of misleading the public opinion while persistently evading the implementation of the October 3 agreement:
- Kim Jong Il's Works Disseminated KCNA 20 Sep 2008 -- Seminars on works of General Secretary Kim Jong Il were held in South Africa and Uganda on September 5 on the occasion of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- US Says North Korea 'Getting Closer' to Restarting Nuclear Plant VOA 19 Sep 2008 -- The United States said North Korea is continuing to take steps to reverse the shutdown of its Yongbyon reactor complex.
- North Korea Pledges to Restart Nuclear Reactor VOA 19 Sep 2008 -- A senior North Korean official says his country is beginning to restore a disabled nuclear facility capable of producing weapons material.
- North Korea announces preparations to re-launch nuclear reactor RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2008
- Kim Il Sung's Far-sightedness Lauded KCNA 19 Sep 2008 -- The DPRK has demonstrated its invincible might century after century and eternal happiness of the Korean people is firmly guaranteed as President Kim Il Sung provided the eternal foundation for the building of a rich and powerful nation with his far-sightedness.
- All Koreans Called upon to Struggle for National Sovereignty KCNA 18 Sep 2008 -- National sovereignty is a fundamental guarantee for the existence and development of each nation.
- South Korean Officials Try to Keep Lid on Kim Jong Il Health Rumors VOA 18 Sep 2008 -- Kim Jong Il still nowhere to be seen a week after South Korean intelligence officials revealed belief he is recovering from stroke.
- North Korea Missile Site Said to Be Capable of Advanced Engine Testing VOA 18 Sep 2008 -- One of the world's foremost analysts says reports of missile engine testing appear credible.
- Rodong Sinmun on DPRK's Bolstered War Deterrent Force KCNA 17 Sep 2008 -- Sovereignty is the life and soul of the Korean people and it is an exercise of the right to self-defence and a measure for legitimate defence for the DPRK to reinforce the war deterrent to cope with the U.S. moves for a new war.
- South Korean media doubt seriousness of Kim Jong-il illness RIA Novosti 17 Sep 2008 -- South Korean media have expressed doubts over the seriousness of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's illness, a conclusion reached by tracking the movements of his closest relatives.
- North Korean missiles back in the spotlight Russia Today 16 Sep 2008 -- North Korea has tested a long-range missile engine at its unfinished site in North Pyongan Province, according to media reports from South Korea
- North Korea conducts missile engine test - report RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2008 -- North Korea has conducted an engine ignition test for a long-range missile at a new launch site near its west coast, Japan's Kyodo agency said on Tuesday citing a South Korean intelligence source.
- Eternal Foundation for Building of Songun Korea Laid by President Kim Il Sung KCNA 15 Sep 2008 -- President Kim Il Sung is the great leader who built a powerful socialist country strong in independence on this land by dint of Songun.
- Rodong Sinmun on Worthwhile Life of Korean People KCNA 15 Sep 2008 -- The DPRK is the greatest country for the people in the world as it has embodied President Kim Il Sung's idea of believing in people as in Heaven.
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 908 (September 8 to 14, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia Show Closes KCNA 13 Sep 2008 -- The Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia show for celebrating the 60th birthday of the DPRK was closed with due ceremony at the Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia Exhibition on Friday
- Sanatoria and Rest Homes Full of Happiness KCNA 13 Sep 2008 -- Working people are enjoying their holidays in sanatoria and rest homes built in scenic spots of the DPRK.
- North Korean leader 'well enough to brush teeth' RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2008 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, whose illness has sparked speculation of a possible leadership change, has recovered enough to brush his teeth, Seoul's Yonhap agency said on Friday, citing an official.
- South Korean Spy Chief Says Kim Jung Il is Recovering VOA 11 Sep 2008 -- South Korea's spy chief, Kim Sung-ho, says North Korean leader Kim Jung Il is on the mend from an apparent stroke, and is recovering quickly.
- Art Performance Given to Mark 60th Birthday of DPRK KCNA 11 Sep 2008 -- A music and dance performance "Song Dedicated to the Homeland of Songun" was given at the East Pyongyang Grand Theatre on Wednesday to celebrate the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- North Korean leader on mend after stroke, South Korea calm RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2008 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has undergone brain surgery and is in a stable condition, South Korean media said on Thursday, while also reporting that Seoul has no plans to raise its defense status.
- New North Korean Missile Site Revealed VOA 11 Sep 2008 -- As speculation continues over the health of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, there are new signs the North is advancing its decades-old ballistic missile program
- Report: Top North Korean Official 'Hopeful' About Progress on Disarmament VOA 10 Sep 2008 -- North Korea's second highest-ranking leader says he has hopes that disagreements over North Korea's disarmament process can be overcome.
- S. Korean Intelligence Says Kim Jong Il Suffered Stroke VOA 10 Sep 2008 -- A South Korean lawmaker says the country's intelligence service has testified that North Korean leader Kim Jong Il is recovering from a stroke
- Parade of Worker-Peasant Red Guards Held KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- A parade of the Worker-Peasant Red Guards was held at Kim Il Sung Square with splendor on Sept. 9 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the DPRK.
- Torchlight Soiree Marks 60th Birthday of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- A torchlight soiree of youth and students "The Homeland of Songun" was held at Kim Il Sung Square Tuesday to mark the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the DPRK.
- National Meeting Held to Mark Diamond Jubilee of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- A national meeting was held at the Pyongyang Indoor Stadium Monday to mark the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Congratulatory Message to Kim Jong Il KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il was presented with a congratulatory message in the joint name of the Central Committee and the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea, the National Defence Commission, the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly and the Cabinet of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on Tuesday on the occasion of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Banquet Given by DPRK Government KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- The DPRK government arranged a banquet at the People's Palace of Culture on Sept. 9 on the occasion of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Homage to Kim Il Sung KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- Senior party, army and state officials, a chairperson of friendly party, leading officials of party, armed forces organs and working people's organizations visited the Kumsusan Memorial Palace on September 9 to pay homage to President Kim Il Sung on the occasion of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Anniversary of DPRK Marked KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- Leading papers today dedicate editorials to the 60th anniversary of the founding of the DPRK.
- Pyongyang in Holiday Atmosphere KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- Pyongyang is in a festive mood on the eve of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Sixty Years of DPRK Glorious with Independence KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- The sixty-year course covered by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea has been a proud chronicle of advance and victory achieved under the banner of independence.
- Rodong Sinmun Observes DPRK's Diamond Jubilee KCNA 10 Sep 2008 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea represents the sovereign rights and interests of the Korean nation and serves as a banner of the national unity and reunification.
- Kim Jong Il: dead, alive or using a body double? TV Novosti 09 Sep 2008 -- The health of North Korea's dictator, Kim Jong Il, has come under the spotlight, just as his country celebrates 60 years since its foundation
- North Korean leader fails to appear at anniversary parade - source RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2008 -- North Korea's leader, rumored to be suffering from ill health, did not make an appearance at Tuesday's military parade to mark the nation's 60th anniversary, a source told RIA Novosti.
- China Sends Congratulations to North Korea on 60-Year Anniversary VOA 09 Sep 2008 -- China has congratulated North Korea for what national media call its achievements, as North Korea celebrates 60 years since its founding
- "Short Biography of Comrade Kim Jong Il" (Enlarged Edition) Off Press KCNA 08 Sep 2008 -- A book "Short Biography of Comrade Kim Jong Il" (an enlarged edition) compiled by the History Institute of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea was published by the Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House.
- DPRK, Powerful Nation of Independence, Self-support and Self-defence KCNA 08 Sep 2008 -- The DPRK is a dignified powerful socialist country of independence, self-support and self-defence.
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 907 (September 1 to 7, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- US Envoy Confident Stalled N. Korea Denuclearization Will be Resolved Soon VOA 06 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. negotiator to six-nation talks on disarming nuclear North Korea says he believes the current stalemate will be resolved before the next American president takes office
- Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia Show Opens KCNA 06 Sep 2008 -- A Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia show opened with due ceremony at the Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia Exhibition here on Friday on the occasion of the 60th birthday of the DPRK.
- Immortal Feats of President Kim Il Sung in Building Country KCNA 06 Sep 2008 -- The Korean people are recollecting with deep emotion the immortal feats performed by President Kim Il Sung in the cause of building the country with the founding anniversary of the DPRK approaching.
- Diamond Jubilee of DPRK Celebrated KCNA 05 Sep 2008 -- A performance was given by art groups of working people in Pyongyang at the People's Palace of Culture on September 3 in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the DPRK.
- Nuclear Envoys to Discuss North Korea's Plans for Disabled Reactor VOA 05 Sep 2008 -- Countries involved in talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons program meet Friday to discuss Pyongyang's announcement that it may restore a disabled nuclear plant.
- U.S. Shows Little Concern About North Korea Nuclear Activity RFE/RL 04 Sep 2008 -- North Korea complained in late August that the United States had reneged on an agreement to remove Pyongyang from its list of state sponsors of terrorism
- Rodong Sinmun on Songun Politics KCNA 04 Sep 2008 -- The Songun politics calls for putting forward the army, the main force in the confrontation with the imperialists, as the mainstay of the revolution and giving top priority to the military affairs to cope with any moves of the imperialists for aggression.
- US Says North Korea Moving Equipment, Not Rebuilding Reactor VOA 03 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. State Department said Wednesday that North Korea has been moving equipment at its Yongbyon reactor site, but that it does not appear to be putting the facility back into operation
- South Korea Allows Top Defector to Travel Overseas VOA 03 Sep 2008 -- South Korean officials say the highest-ranking North Korean defector, a sharp critic of the North's leaders, will be allowed to freely travel overseas.
- U.S. Warmongers' Reckless Remarks Assailed KCNA 03 Sep 2008 -- The newly appointed commander of the U.S. 8th Army in south Korea uttered that there would be no cutback in the U.S. forces in south Korea but their combat capability would be boosted, when interviewed by Stars and Stripes and other media.
- DPR Korea: UN plans major food relief programme to help millions in need UN News Centre 03 Sep 2008 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced today that it is launching a major relief campaign to help more than 6 million people in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which is experiencing its worst food crisis in a decade.
- Lots of Main Construction Objects Completed KCNA 02 Sep 2008 -- At least 60,000 main construction objects have been completed in the DPRK over the last more than decade.
- UN Says North Korea Food Crisis Worsening VOA 02 Sep 2008 -- The U.N. World Food Program says North Korea is facing its worst food shortage in nearly a decade
- Rodong Sinmun on Politico-Ideological Confrontation with Imperialism KCNA 01 Sep 2008 -- The struggle to defend socialism is acute political and ideological confrontation with imperialism and all hues of foes of socialism.
- Over 180 Cases of Aerial Espionage Committed in August KCNA 01 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet forces frantically committed aerial espionage against the DPRK in August by mobilizing strategic and tactical reconnaissance planes with different missions, according to a military source.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list