The Mound Site, formerly known as the Miamisburg Environmental Management Project, Mound Plant, Facility, and Laboratory, and now home to the Mound Advanced Technology Center, was constructed starting in 1946, first occupied in May 1948, and became operational in 1949. The 306-acre facility is located on a hill in the center of Miamisburg in southwestern Ohio. It included approximately 130 buildings. It was established as the first permanent Atomic Energy Commission facility in support of atomic weapons. It was the nation's first post-war U.S. Atomic Energy Commission site to be built. [Image Number: 174 037 002 Date: January 1988]
The site's primary mission was the process development, production engineering, manufacturing, surveillance, and evaluation of explosive components for the U.S. nuclear defense stockpile. Its secondary missions included nuclear material safeguard, radioactive waste management and recovery, the building and testing of nuclear generators, and the purification of non-radioactive isotopes for medical, industrial and agricultural research. In 1989, with the end of the cold war the Department of Energy initiated a reconfiguration process that called for the eventual closing of the Mound Plant and the removal of equipment and materials to other DOE sites.
The DOE Environmental Management (EM) Miamisburg Closure Project (MCP) and its contractor CH2M HILL Mound were responsible for cleanup and closure of the Mound site. EM was charged with the Operable Unit 1 Cleanup Project and of transferring the land parcels, and the nine facilities located on them, to MMCIC. In 1998, the Miamisburg Mound Community Improvement Corporation (MMCIC) and DOE established a sales contract for the conveyance of Mound property to the MMCIC. In February 1999, the first parcel of land was transferred. The Site Sales Contract calls for the property to be transferred to MMCIC no later than February 2008.
On August 1, 2006 the DOE Office of Legacy Management accepted responsibility of the site following the completion of cleanup. The site was slated for transfer to the Office of Legacy Management on October 1, 2007. In 2006, DOE awarded a $25.9 million contract to the Accelerated Remediation Company of Idaho Falls, Idaho to clean up two contaminated areas where waste was originally going to remain buried. On July 31, 2006, CH2M HILL fulfilled its environmental cleanup contract to accelerate the closure of nuclear facilities at Mound. By June of that year, 66 buildings had been demolished and nine had been prepared for transfer. Only the four-acre Operating Unit 1 remained for cleanup, which was scheduled to be finished in the fall of 2007. MMCIC had taken ownership of 127 of the 306 acres, with the transfer of the rest of the parcels planned for 2007. By September 30, 2006, all nuclear material had been shipped off site, facilities had been demolished or transitioned, and environmental remediation activities were completed. MMCIC has assumed control of parcels D, H, 3, and 4. The federal government has committed around $800 to $900 million to the project and transfer is expected to be completed in 2008.
The Office of the Inspector General released the "Follow-up Audit Report on the Department of Energy's Performance of the Miamisburg Closure Project" (DOE/IG-0721) on March 2006 evaluating contractor performance. In May 2001, DOE MCP contractor BWCT of Ohio, Inc., announced it would not complete site closure under the cost and schedule requirements stipulated by their contract. In December 2002, the $314 million contract was awarded to CH2M Hill Mound, Inc. The intent was to close the site by March 31, 2006. However, the contractor later required a 6 month delay, pushing the date to September 30, 2006. In addition an increase of over $59 million, raising the cost to $373 million was needed. The audit thus reported that while at the time of closure in 1997 when remediation efforts began, the estimated cost was $427 million; the project was likely to total at least $903 million.
The City of Miamisburg created the Miamisburg Mound Community Improvement Corporation (MMCIC) in 1994 to manage redevelopment of the Mound site after it was decommissioned. The MMCIC is an economic development organization responsible for redevelopment and business growth at the site. It developed the Miamisburg Mound Comprehensive Reuse Plan, a redevelopment plan and implementation strategy, and created the Mound Advanced Technology Center (MATC), a business and scientific technology complex of 14 companies and more than 200 employees. DOE supported the project with grants and matching funds of over $62 million. As of 2008, the businesses include EHS Technology Group, LLC, Inorganic Specialists, Mound Laser and Photonics Center, Mound Technical Solutions, National Discovery Center, PerkinElmer Optoelectronics, Precision Joining Technologies, Quadco Precision, Inc., RPS Technologies, Inc., Thaler Machine Company, and Wheatville Technology, Inc. The goal of the MMCIC is to make the site a National Center of Excellence for Emerging Energy and related Advanced Materials.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|