KANSAS CITY PLANT
The Kansas City Plant (KCP) is situated on approximately 141 acres of the 300-acre Bannister Federal complex located within the city limits, 12 miles south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The plant shares the site with nine other Federal agencies: Federal Aviation Administration, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Marine Corps, General Services Administration (GSA), Internal Revenue Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the National Logistics Support Center. The KCP comprises the largest portion of the Bannister Federal Complex.
The Kansas City Plant (KCP) is responsible for the production and procurement of non-nuclear components for nuclear weapons. The mission at KCP is to assemble and manufacture components for national defense systems. KCP is part of the NNSA nuclear weapons complex. Its serves the NNSA by producing and procuring non-nuclear electric, electronic, electromechanical, mechanical, plastic, and non-fissionable metal components for the DOE nuclear weapons program. No operations directly involving radioactive materials or explosives normally associated with nuclear weapons are assigned to the KCP. Activities at KCP also support other government agencies as well as national laboratories, universities, and U.S. industries. Its work-for-others program provides services, products, and systems for homeland security, the Department of Defense and other government agencies. The KCP provides 85% of the components for nuclear weapons, over 100,000 parts annually, and, weapons support from concept through production and to retirement. It does not store any special nuclear material (SNM).
The Plant was established in 1942 to build aircraft engines for the U.S. Navy. It was operated by Pratt-Whitney from early 1943 until September 2, 1945, and produced the "Double Wasp" engines for the Navy. After World War II, the site was used for storage. In February of 1949 the Atomic Energy Commission chose Bendix Corporation to manage the facility and build non-nuclear components for nuclear weapons. 1949 was selected to manufacture non-nuclear components for nuclear weapons. In the early 1960s, the General Services Administration began warehouse operations in the western portion of the site.
The non-nuclear production work maintains the existing stockpile in support of the draft Stockpile Stewardship and Management Restructuring Initiative. Due to the change in the DOE mission, a study was conducted in 1994, titled the Stockpile Stewardship and Management Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement, to review either relocation of production operations from the KCP to various DOE laboratories or significant downsizing of production operations to match future projected workload and to reduce cost. On February 29, 1996, the Secretary of Energy announced the preferred option: continue the KCP mission in support of the stockpile management restructuring initiative, which includes downsizing production operations at KCP to match future workloads and to reduce cost. Also as of 1996, fissile material at the KCP included plutonium-beryllium sources containing 1.2 grams of plutonium-239 as a sealed source in analytical equipment.
The stockpile management restructuring initiative was planned as a four-year downsizing and consolidation of the KCP from 3.2 million square feet to 1.8 million square feet, and personnel reduction from 3,382 to approximately 2,400 employees. This project involved the consolidation of equipment and process operations in areas of the Main Manufacturing Building, Technology Transfer Center (TTC), and Manufacturing Support Building (MSB). It was planned for the Technology Transfer Center and the Manufacturing Support Building facilities to be totally emptied of defense program activities. All operations and support functions required for the non-nuclear fabrication mission are planned to be accomplished within the reduced floor space of the Main Manufacturing Building. The downsized KCP facility was planned to consist of the following major factories and product-oriented departments: Electronic Factory, Mechanical Factory, Engineer Materials Factory, Joint Test Assembly and Special Electronic Assembly Department, Reservoir Fabrication and Assembly Department, and Transportation Safeguards Department. Facility modification to establish the downsized and consolidated KCP con-figuration will take approximately four years. Thirteen weapon technologies were relocated from DOE's Mound, Pinellas, and Rocky Flats Plants to the KCP. Construction activities included replacing the Microminiature Electronic Facility, replacing the Emergency Notification System, replacing the Temperature and Humidity Condition Systems, and upgrading the Materials Engineering Laboratory. It was completed in FY 2006.
The KCP is part of Complex Transformation, a NNSA program for a smaller, safer, more secure, and less expansive nuclear weapons complex to replace the standing complex that is believed to be too old with too many facilities. The DOE has already consolidated most activities regarding non-nuclear components at KCP. The NNSA is evaluating alternatives for modernizing plant facilities. The NNSA has proposed a new General Services Administration Facility to support the KCP's 40 major product lines. As the NNSA Non-nuclear Production and Procurement center, the KCP would reduce its building footprint by 67% by moving the 3.1M GSF Bannister Road facility to a 1M GSF new GSA-leased facility, increase its component outsourcing by 15%, and reduce staff by 30%.
The Kansas City Site Office manages the resources of the KCP. Previously, the Albuquerque Operations Office (AL) was responsible for programs related to nuclear weapons production, stockpile maintenance and surveillance, and field non-nuclear testing. The Area Manager of the Kansas City Area Office (KCAO) had line management responsibility for activities related to manufacturing non-nuclear components for the DOE nuclear weapons program and for contractor oversight at KCAO. The KCAO consisted of three offices: the Office of Resource Management and Security, the Office of Technical Management, and the Office of Stockpile Support. At that time the cognizant secretarial officer included theAssistant Secretary for Defense Programs (DP) as the lead CSO; the principal DP office was the Office of Nuclear Weapons Management (DP-22); the Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management (EM); and the principal EM office was the Office of Southwestern Area Programs (EM-45).
The Kansas City Plant is managed and operated by Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technologies for the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA). In FY 2007, about 3,000 personnel were employed at KCP. The KCP site was previously operated by AlliedSignal Federal Manufacturing and Technologies/Kansas City (ASFM&T/KC), under a cost plus award fee contract (DE-AC04-76-DP00613) with DOE. The Manager, KCAO, was the Administrative Contracting Officer for the contract. The contract was renewed on April 1, 1995, and expired five years later. In October 1996, ASFM&T/KC had 3,704 employees, includeing 315 associates at ASFM&T/New Mexico facilities.
The budget request for FY 2009 was $481.260 million. In FY 2008, KCP was appropriated $401.987 million. For FY 2007, the appropriation totalled $429.522 million. The annual budget was targeted at $382 million for FY 1997.
Waste management operations at the KCP consisted mainly of hazardous waste storage in preparation for offsite treatment or disposal. Small quantities of low-level radioactive waste are also generated. Some waste was considered classified for national security reasons, due to the nature of the generating process and/or constituents. All classified hazardous wastes were shipped offsite to Eagle-Picher for sanitization and reclamation. Sanitization on site was planned for non-hazardous classified waste. The KCP performs no onsite waste disposal. Treatment operations were limited to industrial waste water pretreatment and selective recycling. The disposal of solid and liquid sanitary waste (plant trash, construction debris, and plant sewage) was funded through general plant operating funds. The KCP environmental restoration program was addressing solid waste management units (SWMUs) and total toxic organics (TTOs). Remediation activities were completed in FY 2006.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|