99th Strategic Weapons Wing
The 99th Air Base Wing (ABW) had its beginnings as the 99th Bombardment Group in 1942 at Gowen Field, Ohio. In 1943 air operations moved to Algeria, when the unit distinguished itself while flying bombing missions against targets in Italy, Sardinia and Sicily. In 1943 the 99th aircrews moved to Italy and flew missions throughout Europe.
After a brief inactivation, the 99th was redesignated the 99th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) from 1947 to its inactivation in 1949. The 99th was reactivated in 1953 as the 99th Strategic Wing, based at Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington. The 99th Bombardment Wing moved from Fairchild AFB, WA to Westover AFB in late 1956, and began operation of the B-52. SAC operations ended in March 31, 1974 when the Wing was inactivated. The 348th Bomb Squadron operated the B-52 from December of 1956 through April of 1972 while assigned to the 99th Bombardment Wing at Westover AFB. On 11 November 1957 a KC-135 tanker piloted by Gen. Curtis LeMay flew 6,350 miles from Westover AFB to Buenos Aires in 13 hours 2 minutes, a world record for nonstop nonrefueled jet flight.
On 10 August 1989 Headquarters SAC reactivated the 99th Strategic Weapons Wing at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota. This wing assumed primary responsibility for B-1B and B-52 advanced air crew training. The 99th Wing became the 99th Tactics and Training Wing in 1993.
In October 1995 the "99th Wing" deactivated and was reactivated at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, as the 99th Air Base Wing and today it serves as the host wing for the base. It oversees the day-to-day operations of the base such as personnel, finance, civil engineering and supply. Three groups are assigned to the wing: 99th Logistics Group, 99th Medical Group, and 99th Support Group.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|