95th Bomb Wing
The 95th was activated as a very heavy bombardment group on May 1947, at Memphis, TN, and trained as a reserve unit until inactivation in Jun 1949. The Wing activated at Biggs AFB, TX, on 15 Jun 1952, but was not manned until Jul 1953, and only minimally manned until it began strategic bombardment training with B-36 aircraft in Sep 1953. Operated in support of SAC's global commitments, Apr 1954- Feb 1966. Wing deployed to Andersen AB, Guam, and operated under control of 3d Air Division, Jul-Nov 1955. Lost B-36s by Feb 1959 and received first B-52s in Jun. Added air refueling mission, Aug 1959-Jan 1965. Phased down Jan-Jun 1966, and inactivated on 25 Jun 1966.
Activated as the 95th Strategic Wing, the 95th supported SAC's KC-135 alert tanker forces in eastern Canada and North Atlantic, Oct 1966-Dec 1975. Phased down for inactivation, closing most USAF operations at Goose Bay, Jan-Sep 1976. Inactivated on 30 Sep 1976.
Edwards Air Force Base, serving the world's premier Air Force Flight Test Center under the 95th Air Base Wing, is located in the Mojave Desert and over a half-hour away from the towns of Palmdale and Lancaster.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|