94th Bomb Wing
The 94th Bomb Group of the US Army Air Force was formed at McDill Field, FL, on 28 January 1942. On 01 November 1942, the 94th moved to Biggs Field, El PAso, TX, where phase training was begun in B-17 Flying Fortresses. Overseas deployment was initiated in late March 1943 and complete in April. Typical of the many bombardment groups that served across England in World War II, the 94th Bombardment Group, armed with the B-17 Flying Fortress, made Bury St Edmunds its home from 1943 until 1945. The 94th began its combat operations on 13 June 1943, and struck at the heart of the German war machine for the next two years.
During June and July of 44 (including D-Day) the group had minimal losses, but again had heavy losses in August through October. The 325th and final combat mission flown by the 94th was to Ingolstadt, Germany on 21 April 1945. The Group returned to the United States, and was stationed at Dobbins AFB from 29 May 1947 through 20 March 1951.
The redesignated 94th Bomb Wing was stationed at Dobbins Air Force Base from 26 June 1949 through 18 May 1955. In 1952-53 a number of new facilities were constructed at Dobbins to accomodate the B-47 bomber, with a new 10,000-foot east-west runway being completed by 1955.
The 94th Airlift Wing is the host organization at Dobbins Air Reserve Base, responsible for providing security, civil engineering, fire protection and numerous other services to various tenant organizations assigned to the base. The 94th Airlift Wing is organized into 3 groups and a headquarters detachment containing 11 Squadrons (1600 personnel). The principal mission is to deploy 9 C-130s on very short notice to a bare base and operate indefinitely. This includes operating the base, feeding the personnel, maintaining and loading the aircraft, and providing medical services to include evacuation of military personnel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|