494th Bomb Wing
A Strategic Air Command operational Wing of B-52 bombers and KC-135 tanker aircraft was located at Sheppard AFB. From July 1959 through January 1962 Brigadier General Frank B. Elliott was Wing commander, 4245th Strategic Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. In August 1960 General Paul N. Bacalis went to Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, where he served as deputy commander for operations, vice commander, and then commander of the 4245th Strategic Wing. The 4245th Strategic Bombardment Wing operated B-52s at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, from November 1961 to December 1962. The 4245th Strategic Wing at Sheppard AFB was inactivated on 01 February 1963.
The 494th Bomb Wing -- a Strategic Air Command operational Wing of B-52 bombers and KC-135 tanker aircraft also designated as the 4245th Strategic Wing -- was located at Sheppard until 1965. In July 1969 Detachment 1, 2nd Bombardment Wing, with four B-52 aircraft, became a tenant organization and remained until 1975. These aircraft rotated as part of SAC's dispersal concept.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|