416th Bomb Wing
In 1959, the 4039th Strategic Wing of the Strategic Air Command (SAC) was activated as a base tenant at Griffiss Air Force Base, NY. The wing was equipped with B-52 Stratofortress bombers and KC-135 Stratotankers. In February 1963, that unit was deactivated and the 416th Bombardment Wing was activated in its place. The 416th BMW assumed host responsibilities for Griffiss in July 1970. The AGM-86B air-launched cruise missile became operational in December 1982, with the 416th Bombardment Wing. The 416 Bomb Wing came under the Air Combat Command (ACC) in 1992. In June 1993, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission voted to realign Griffiss Air Force Base, stripping the base of its active flying mission. Griffiss completed its 1993 BRACC-ordered realignment on Sept. 30, 1995, and thw 416th Bomb Wing deactivated when Griffiss closed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|