306th Bomb Wing
The 306th at MacDill converted to B-47s in November 1951 and in 1953 became the first operational B-47 Wing. As B-52s replaced B-47s the 306th Bombardment Wing was inactivated at MacDill AFB and activated at McCoy AFB, Florida in April 1963, as a B-52 and KC-135 unit. The 306th replaced the 4047th Strategic Wing, initially constituted in 1961. The Wing continued its primary mission, maintaining nuclear ground alert with eight B-52Ds out of 15 assigned, and eight KC-135As out of 16 assigned. The B-52Ds were equipped with the AGM 28 "Hound Dog" long range air-to-ground nuclear missile.
In 1966 the wing began deployment to the Western Pacific in support of Operations Arc Light and Young Tiger. In September 1966 the wing deployed to Andersen AFB, Guam and to Kadena AFB, Okinawa. The 306th Bombardment Wing was at McCoy AFB Florida in 1972, with the B-52D aircraft of the 367th Bomber Squadron were based at McCoy. Inactivation of the 306th Bombardment Wing began in 1973 and was completed in July 1974.
In August 1976, the 306th was activated once again as the 306th Strategic Wing (SAC), Ramstein AB, Germany, with operational control for SAC air refueling and reconnaissance resources in the European Theater. On 01 July 1978 the 306th SW's headquarters moved to RAF Mildenhall, England. For most of this period the 306th SW operated KC-135s and RC-135s from RAF Mildenhall, Zaragoza AB, Spain and Hellinikon AB, Greece. The wing operated until February 1992, when the 100th Air Refueling Wing (USAFE) assumed the wing's responsibilities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|