January 2016 Space News
- Russia Successfully Puts European Communications Satellite Into Orbit Sputnik 30 Jan 2016 -- Russian Proton-M carrier rocket successfully put European Eutelsat 9B communications satellite into orbit, a spokesperson for Russian Roscosmos state corporation said Saturday.
- Raytheon Wins $212.6Mln Patriot Missile Contracts for 12 Countries Sputnik 30 Jan 2016 -- Raytheon has won engineering contracts worth $212.6 million on its Patriot anti-aircraft and anti-ballistic missile systems.
- S.Korea sees THAAD deployment as helpful to security People's Daily 29 Jan 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry said Friday that deploying a U.S. mobile missile defense system, dubbed Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in the country, would be helpful to its security and defense.
- Deployment of US Defense System to Increase South Korea's Security Sputnik 29 Jan 2016 -- According to the South Korean Defense Ministry, the US anti-missile system can help South Korea boost the country's security.
- S. Korea Eyes US Missile Defense System as North Continues Tests VOA 29 Jan 2016 -- To counter growing North Korean missile and nuclear threats, South Korea appears poised to consider importing a controversial U.S. missile defense system, according to officials in Seoul.
- Ground-based Midcourse Defense System Conducts Successful Flight Test MDA 28 Jan 2016-- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency, in cooperation with the U.S. Air Force 30th Space Wing, the Joint Functional Component Command for Integrated Missile Defense, and U.S. Northern Command, today conducted a non-intercept flight test of the Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) element of the nation's Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS).
- Raytheon kill vehicle succeeds in developmental flight test Raytheon 28 Jan 2016 -- A Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle (EKV) successfully completed a data-gathering mission during a Missile Defense Agency flight test. The mission's objective was to observe in-flight performance of redesigned components and gain valuable information on evolving threat classes.
- Sen. McCain vows to ban use of Russian rocket engines Press TV 28 Jan 2016 -- US Senator John McCain has said he plans to introduce legislation to reinstate restrictions on the use of Russian rocket engines for US military space launch.
- Top U.S. Lawmaker Vows To Ban Military Use Of Russian Engines RFE/RL 28 Jan 2016 -- John McCain, the powerful chairman of the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee, is vowing to reinstate a ban on U.S. military use of Russian rocket engines.
- Furious McCain: Pentagon Can't Overcome Its Russian Engines Addiction Sputnik 28 Jan 2016 -- Despite John McCain's profound displeasure, US defense officials are not inclined to abandon the RD-180 Russian rocket engines until 2021 or 2022 earliest.
- SecAF testifies on military space launch AFNS 27 Jan 2016 -- Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee, along with Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall, on military space launch and the use of Russian-made rocket engines Jan. 27.
- Kendall Describes Novel Way of Contracting for Space-Launch Services AFPS 27 Jan 2016 -- The undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics described a novel concept to acquire access to space during his testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- James Describes Way Forward to U.S-Built Complete Space-Launch System AFPS 27 Jan 2016 -- Everyone agrees the United States depends on space-based assets as part of the defense of the homeland and the ability to command and control forces worldwide, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James told the Senate Armed Services Committee this morning.
- India to Cooperate With France on Next Mission to Mars Sputnik 25 Jan 2016 -- France will participate in India's next Mars mission, according to India's Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.
- Russia Postpones Manned Moon Mission for 5 Years – Space Agency Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Russian space agency Roscosmos has postponed the first manned lunar mission from 2030 to 2035, according to the 2016-2025 space program unveiled Wednesday.
- India launches fifth navigation satellite People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- India Wednesday successfully launched its fifth navigation satellite from the spaceport of Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Long March 7 and Long March 5 scheduled to make maiden flights in 2016 People's Daily 18 Jan 2016 -- 'China's new generation carrier rockets, Long March 7 and Long March 5, will make their respective maiden flights in June and at the end of September to the beginning of October in 2016,' said Lei Fanpei, the chairman of China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASC).
- China Aims for the Moon With New Rockets Sputnik 17 Jan 2016 -- China's space industry revealed that its new rockets would be used for an unmanned moon mission capable of returning soil samples, as well as a delivery vehicle for a new space station.
- China launches Belarusian telecom satellite People's Daily 16 Jan 2016 -- China sent a Belarusian telecom satellite into intended orbit from southwest China's Xichang Satellite Launch Center at 12:57 a.m. Beijing time on Saturday.
- China to land probe on dark side of moon in 2018 People's Daily 15 Jan 2016 -- China has officially begun a new round of lunar exploration and will send the Chang'e-4 probe to the far side of the moon in 2018, China's State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense (SASTIND) announced Thursday.
- Astronauts Go for a Spacewalk to Repair ISS Sputnik 15 Jan 2016 -- A US and a UK astronauts are replacing a failed voltage regulator that caused a loss of power.
- Russian Space Agency to Equip Zenit Rocket With Methane Engine Sputnik 14 Jan 2016 -- Russia's Federal Space Agency is planning to create a methane-powered version of the Zenit carrier rocket.
- China to launch Long March-5 rocket this year People's Daily 13 Jan 2016 -- China has made a major breakthrough in key technologies for its new generation heavy-lift launch vehicle, Long March-5 (LM-5), and plans to do a test launch later this year, according to China National Space Administration on Tuesday.
- NATO will not 'limit' missile program to please Russia: US Press TV 13 Jan 2016 -- Members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) will not comply with Russian demands to limit their missile system deployments, says a US official.
- Fly Meet Web: Russia Building a Powerful New Early Warning Radar Network Sputnik 12 Jan 2016 -- Earlier this month, the Russian Defense Ministry announced that 2016 will see the introduction of three powerful 'Voronezh'-series early warning radar systems. Adding to four stations of their type already in operation, the new systems' appearance will help lead, by 2020, to a full-scale modernization of the Russia's early warning radar network.
- China a step closer to manned moon landing People's Daily 11 Jan 2016 -- A part for the Long March 9 rocket was successfully developed in April 2015.
- Turkey Targets 2019 for Launch of Indigenous Satellite Sputnik 08 Jan 2016 -- After spending more than $1 billion on satellite programs, Turkey is preparing to build the country's first indigenous satellite.
- Eagle Eye: Russia Testing New Generation Missile Warning Satellite Sputnik 08 Jan 2016 -- Russia will orbit a second new generation satellite in 2016 to keep a closer eye on ballistic missile launches anywhere in the world, the Defense Ministry said, Zvezda TV channel reported.
- Chang'e-3 landing site on moon named 'Guang Han Gong' People's Daily 06 Jan 2016 -- The landing site of China's first moon lander Chang'e-3 has been named 'Guang Han Gong' or 'Moon Palace', more than two years after the spacecraft made a successful soft-landing on the moon in December 2013.
- Russia to Continue Launching Early Warning Defense Satellites Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- Russia's early warning system for detecting missile launches will continue expanding in 2016 with at least one new satellite.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|