Jesus Villamor Air Base
Nichols Air Base
Jesus Villamor Air Base is located in Pasay City about 5 miles south of downtown Manila and shares facilities with the much larger Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Ninoy Aquino supports most of the city's air traffic. The airport has 2 runways. One is 12,000 feet long, while the other is only 6,000 feet and also narrower in width. The Base was the Air Force's largest facility and was noteworthy in that it housed the President's personal Airlift Wing. It was also home to a number of important administrative and support units and features an Air Force Museum and officers' club. (Coordinates: 14o30'36 N, 121o0'50 E)
The facility first came into existence in 1912 as an underdeveloped US Army Air Corps base, alternately called Nichols Field, part of Camp Nichols. The Japanese took over the facility during World War II and used it as a bomber base. Retaken by the United States during the conflict, it was turned over to Philippine control in 1948. The following year it was renamed Nichols Air Base. In 1982, President Marcos renamed the base Jesus Villamor Air Base after a famous World War II Philippine ace pilot and clandestine agent.
As of 2009, Villamor Air Base hosts mostly non-combat air units, including the 207th Tactical Helicopter Squadron, the 250th Presidential Airlift Wing, the 4221 Supply Distribution Squadron, the 5223rd Civil Engineering Squadron, the 5054th Supply Squadron, the 900th Weather Support Group, the 950th Communications, Electronics and Information Systems Group, the Air Force Finance Center, the Air Force Civil Relations Center, the Air Force Holding Center, the Air Force Management Information Center, the Air Force Procurement Center, the Air Force General Hospital, and the 1301st Dental Dispensary.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|