WS-1 WeiShi [Guardian] / T–300 / Kasirga
The WeiShi [literally "Guardian", (WS) family of the multiple launch rocket systems were developed by Sichuan Aerospace Industry Corporation (SCAIC, also known as Base 062) in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. The WeiShi series includes the 302mm WS-1 (100km range), the improved 302mm WS-1B (180km range), the 122mm WS-1E (40km), and the latest 400mm WS-2 (200km range). The WS-1 series weapon system did not enter PLA service, and has not received any orders from foreign customers.
- The Chinese system WS-1 fires four 320mm caliber rockets to a range of up to 80 km. One of the largest unguided rockets worldwide, the launcher is mounted on a standard 6x6 truck as are the associated support vehicles. A digital computer system provides fire direction and positioning to give the system an accuracy of 1% of the range to the target. The WS-1 long-range 302mm artillery rocket is 4.7 meters in length, weighs approx. 524 kg and is provided with 150kg of cluster munitions to take out a variety of targets such as fortifications, infrastructure, armored vehicles, etc. The WS-1 powered by a solid rocket motor flies at Mach 4.2 and has a minimum range of 40 kilometers. A single artillery system, which utilizes an MF-4 6x6 all-terrain truck, can get ready-to-fire within 20 minutes.
- SCAIC continued the WS-1 development in the 1990s and introduced the improved WS-1B in the late 1990s. The WS-1B is an ultra long-range version introduced in the late 1990s. The WS-1B rocket can be equipped with a variety of warheads weighing 150 kg. Its 302mm rockets can engage targets at ranges between 60 and 180 kilometers flying at Mach 5.2 powered by a solid rocket motor. These rockets weigh 725 kg carrying a 150 kg warhead and are 6.37 meters in length. The WS-1B utilizes the 4-tube HF-4B 6x6 launch truck. The WS-1B mainly targeted the foreign customers and was actively marketed by Beijing-based China National Precision Machinery Corporation (CPMIEC). Again the weapon system failed to attract any buyer. Compared to the WS-1, the WS-1B features an increased range of 180km.
- The WS-1E is compatible with legacy 122mm rockets. Each rocket is 2.94 meters in length, weighs 74 kg, carries a18 or 22 kg warhead, and is capable of engaging targets located at ranges between 20 and 40 kilometers. The WS-1E is the 122mm multiple rocket system developed by SCAIC as a successor to the PLA's current Type 81 122mm rocket system. It is similar to the Type 90 122mm rocket system, but did not enter production.
- During the 2004 Zhuhai Air Show, SCAIC revealed its latest WS-2 multiple launch rocket system. The weapon is fitted with 6 box-shape launchers and fires 400mm rockets to a maximum range of 200km, which is long enough to travel through the Taiwan Strait and attack Taiwan targets
- The WS-6 122 mm Multiple Launcher Rocket Weapon System (MLRWS) is the latest in the series.
The WS-1 MLRS is an advanced long-range MLRS, with the features of long range, high precision, high mobility, quick reaction, easy operation, convenient maintenance, high security and reliability, etc.. The rocket can be fitted with multi-function warheads, used in striking large-scale surface targets. WS-1 long-range non-control MLRS belongs to the conventional artillery tactical weapon. The MLRS troop can be provided in the artillery brigade /division as a battalion; can be also provided in the heavy-division as a battalion/battery, directly subjecting to the group army or heavy-division. In the meanwhile, the launch rocket can do battle independently. The WS-1 rocket battalion is composed of three rocket batteries. Every rocket battery should be fitted with the following staff and trucks:
|DZ-88B command truck:||1||four people per truck|
|MF-4 launch truck:||6 ~ 9||three people per truck|
|QY-88 transport and loading truck||6 ~ 9||three people per truck|
|Meteorological truck:||1||three people per truck|
|Fitted rocket quantity:||40~60||rounds per truck (launch truck)|
The WS-1B MLRS is an advanced multi-function long-range MLRS, featured in the long range, low cost-efficiency ratio, high mobility, quick reaction, easy operation, convenient maintenance, high security and reliability. The rocket can be fitted with different multi-function warheads, used in striking large-scale surface targets. WS-1B MLRS belongs to the conventional artillery tactical weapon. The MLRS troop can be provided in the artillery brigade/division as a battalion; can be also provided in the heavy-division as a battalion/battery, directly subjecting to the group army or heavy-division. In the meanwhile, the launch rocket can do battle independently. Every rocket battery should be fitted with the following staff and trucks:
|Command truck:||1||four people per truck|
|Launch truck:||6 ~ 9||three people per truck|
|Transport and loading truck||6 ~ 9||three people per truck|
|Meteorological truck:||1||three people per truck|
|Fitted rocket quantity:||46~60||rounds per truck (launch truck)|
The WS-1E MLRS is featured in the powerful firing force, strong lethality, high precision, long range, etc., used in striking surface targets. The WS-1E rockets are compatible with the former 122mm rocket launch truck. WS-1E MLRS belongs to the conventional artillery tactical weapon. The MLRS troop can be provided in the artillery brigade/division as a battalion; can be also provided in the heavy-division as a battalion/battery, directly subjecting to the group army or heavy-division. Every rocket battery should be fitted with the following staff and trucks:
|DZ-88B command truck:||1||5 people per truck|
|MF-40 launch truck:||6||3 people per truck|
|Fitted rocket quantity:||120~160||per launch truck|
Sichuan Aerospace Industry Corporation (SCAIC) is an exclusive regional filiale affiliated to China Science & Technology Group Corporation. It is not only a key base for China's launching rocket and missile but also one of the most important designers and manufacturers for Multiple Launch Rocket Weapon System.
SCAIC boasts 40-year history for designing and producing aerospace products: body producing and general assembly of launch rocket; researching, designing, developing, manufacturing and integration of multiple launch rocket weapon system. SCAIC covers the design and manufacture of many body parts including the pyrotechnical devices, electronic control instrument & equipment, hydraulic servo mechanism, turbine-jet motor, end-guided radar and special-purpose vehicles. Besides, SCAIC deals with the developing and manufacture of many civilian products, including automobile components, engineering plastic-pressure units, security products, optical-electricity products, construction materials and environment protection sets.
SCAIC features in large-scale machinery manufacture, integrated machinery working and precision working with advanced manufacture equipment, perfect mating facilities, strong manufacture capacity and rich manufacture technology & experience. In the field of products manufacture, SCAIC carries out cooperation with many world-known companies.
With the principle of "more focused, more professional, more expeditious and creative than the competitors", SCAIC will take trying its best to meet the needs of clients as its long-term goal and provide the clients with advanced products & system, high quality product solution, reliable security and flexible service. SCAIC is located in Chengdu - a famous ancient city with long history and rich culture in the western part of China, which carries cultural charms, abundant technological resources and comfortable living environment.
T–300 / Kasirga
Turkey's Roketsan has customized and produced the WS-1 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems [MLRS] of CPMIEC/SCAIC under the name of Kasirga. Roketsan is marketing Kasirga MLRS under T-300 name in the international market. Displayed for the first time during the military parade at the Atatürk Cultural Centre in Ankara on August 30, 2006, the system is based on the locally produced MAN 6x6 cross-country chassis fitted with a forward control cab. Valued at around US$250 Million, including technology transfer costs, the program covered the deliveries of six Kasirga Batteries [54 launchers] and over 1,500 302mm unguided rockets to the Turkish Land Forces’ [TLFC]. The first battery [19 vehicles and around 2oo rockets] was delivered by CPMIEC/SCAIC of China in December 1998, while the remaining batteries and rockets were being produced by Roketsan under licence. A Kasirga MLRS Battery comprises nine Rocket Launch Trucks [F-302T], nine Transport and Loading Trucks and one Firing Command Truck. The system can launch 302mm unguided rockets over distances of between 40-100km.
T–300, the 300 mm Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher Weapon System is a tactical weapon system which, in artillery units, functions as in – depth fire support, day and night and in all weather conditions, by opening indirect fire at sectoral targets. T–300, which can be directed from the command vehicle and can be supplied with munitions by a transport and loading vehicle, is equipped to undertake fire missions independently if required. According to the logistics infrastructure and the needs of the user, alternative versions of it can also be designed with communication systems, power supplies, navigation systems etc. in different makes and models, including the vehicle.
|Number of Barrels||4|
|Barrels Length||5 m|
|Fire Interval||6 sec|
|Weight (rocket loaded)||~23 ton|
|Vehicle Mounted||6 x 6 or 8 x 8 Tactical Wheeled|
|Pointing||Automatic Fire Control System Manual Backup|
|Pointing||Manual Pointing System (Stand – by)|
|Stabilization||4 Hydraulic stays|
|Navigation System|| Inertial Navigation System /|
Global Positioning System
|Maximum Range|| TR-300E; 100+ km (at sea level)|
TR-300S; 60 km (at sea level)
|Minimum Range|| TR-300E; 65 km (at sea level) |
TR-300S; 40 km (at sea level)
|Warhead||HE + Steel Ball|
|Warhead Weight||150 kg|
|Warhead Effective Radius||70 m|
|Shelf Life||10 years|
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|