Z-39 operated at Jutland for a short time until it was send to the Baltic Sea at the beginning of 1944. On June 23, 1944 it was damaged by Soviet bombers and send to Kiel for repairs where it got another bomb hit. It took until February 16, 1945 until the ship went operational again and it was not used very much after that anymore. Decommissioned on May 10, 1945. Taken over by the British, given to the US on July 11, 1945. Renamed as DD-939 . Used for trials until 1947, then given to France. Because of its bad condition, the ship was not put into service again but was used as a spare part supply for the other German destroyers in the French navy. Broken down in February 1964.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|