Monadnock, launched as Cavalier in 1938 by Pusey and Jones Corp., Wilmington, Del., was acquired by the Navy through purchase from the Philadelphia and Norfolk SS Co., Philadelphia, Pa., 9 June 1941; converted at the Bethlehem Steel Co., Atlantic Works, East Boston, Mass.; and commissioned as Monadnock (CMc-4), 2 December 1941. On 1 May 1942, she was redesignated CM-9.
Miantonomah (CMc-5) was built as SS Quaker by Pusey & Jones Corp., Wilmington, Del., in 1938 and during the next three years operated along the eastern seaboard as a fast inland water passenger and freight carrier. She was acquired by the Navy from her owner, Philadelphia & Norfolk Steamship Co., at Boston 5 May 1941; renamed Miantonomah 14 May 1941; converted for Navy use as a coastal minelayer by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., East Boston, Mass.; and commissioned at Boston 13 November 1941. She was reclassified CM-10 on 15 May 1942.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|