The only new feature on the F-104D was the addition of a rear cockpit, a basic component to most trainers. To make room for the cockpit, the M-61 Vulcan had to be removed.
The F-104D entered operational service in November, 1958, first with the 476th Tactical Fighter Squadron at George AFB. Soon thereafter, TAC's three other F-104C squadrons became equipped with the F-104D.
The Air Force accepted 16 in FY 59 and 5 in FY 60 (2 monthly from November, 1958 through August 1959).
Production ended in September 1959 with the delivery of the last F-104D.
The Flyaway Cost Per Production Aircraft was $1.5 million-airframe, $873,962; engine (installed), $271,148; electronics, $16,210; ordnance, $70,067; armament, $269,014
Under Project Grindstone's F-104C modernization, Lockheed fitted the F-104D with 2.75 inch rockets for air ground support.
Built in the United States for MAP, the F-104E was accepted by the Air Force (20 in FY 60 and 10 in FY 61) for West German pilot training in Europe. The F-104E closely resembled the F-104D but featured upward ejection seats. Until retrofitted, most USAF F-104s (D models included) had the troublesome downward ejection seat.
F-104Ds phased out of TLC's active inventory along with, and in the same manner as the F-104Cs. In 1967, the D model, as well as the C, equipped the ANG 198th Tactical Fighter Squadron in Puerto Rico.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|