22 September 2013 Military News
- UK army seeking to keep military presence in Afghanistan beyond 2014 Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- British army commanders are pushing plans to keep the country's military presence in Afghanistan even after 2014, when foreign forces are due to leave the war-ravaged country, media reports suggest.
- Afghan forces learn air-to-ground integration Army News 22 Sep 2013 -- As U.S. forces prepare to leave Afghanistan, the Afghan Air Force and the Afghan National Army are integrating air and ground forces to conduct combat fire support and logistics missions as they continue to grow and lead operations.
- 7 die in US killer drone strike in Pakistan's North Waziristan Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Seven people have died and two others have been wounded in a US assassination drone strike in Pakistan's North Waziristan Province.
- Pakistan premier to raise US terror drone campaign at United Nations Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is expected to raise the issue of US terror drone strikes during his upcoming speech at the UN General Assembly, a report says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Memorial Service Honors Washington Navy Yard Victims AFPS 22 Sep 2013 -- President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel were among the national leaders who gathered today for a memorial service honoring those killed in the Sept. 16 shootings at the Washington Navy Yard.
- Search and Rescue Efforts for MH-60S Aircrew Suspended NNS 22 Sep 2013 -- Search and rescue (SAR) efforts for the remaining two crew members involved in a U.S. Navy MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter crash were suspended Sept. 23 at approximately 3 p.m. Bahrain time.
- Three Recovered After Red Sea Helo Crash NNS 22 Sep 2013 -- An MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter assigned to Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 6 crashed in the central Red Sea Sept. 22, while operating with the guided-missile destroyer USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110).
- Development of China's fourth-generation nuclear submarine completed People's Daily 22 Sep 2013 -- Tan Zuojun, vice governor of Liaoning Province and former general manager of China State Shipbuilding Corporation, revealed that development of China's fourth-generation nuclear submarines and other high-tech weapons and items of equipment in the Northeastern Provinces of China had been completed.
- Crossing the first island chain, Chinese bombers' maximum radius of operation tested People's Daily 22 Sep 2013 -- On the morning of Sept. 8, two H-6 bombers of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy made training flights across the sea area between the main Japanese islands of Okinawa and Miyako-Jima, and on to the West Pacific.
- Russia accuses US of blackmail over Syria Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Russia accuses the US of trying to blackmail Moscow by threatening to hinder the work of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on Syria unless Moscow supports a UN Security Council resolution that allows the use of force against the Arab country.
- Mortar shell lands into Russian Embassy in Syria, injures 3 Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- At least three people have been injured when a mortar shell struck the Russian Embassy in the Syrian capital Damascus amid ongoing clashes between government forces and the foreign-sponsored militant groups.
- Iran, Turkey must consult on Syria crisis: Rouhani Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Iran President Hassan Rouhani says no country will benefit from continued unrest and instability in Syria, stressing the importance of consultations with Turkey over the issue.
- Russia Urges Syrian Rebels to Destroy Chemical Weapons – Lavrov RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Moscow insists that the Syrian opposition groups should also eliminate their chemical weapons stockpiles, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Sunday.
- Russia Welcomes Plans by UN Inspectors to Return to Syria – Lavrov RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Russia welcomes the plans of UN chemical weapons inspectors to return to Syria to complete their investigation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Sunday.
- US 'Blackmails' Russia over Syria Resolution – Lavrov RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Sunday the US is "blackmailing" Moscow over a UN resolution on Syria that could allow the use of force.
- On margins of General Assembly summit, Ban discusses Syria with Arab League officials UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today met with Nabil Elaraby, the head of the League of Arab States, reiterating the need for a political solution to end the ongoing conflict in Syria, and aid the people still trapped by the fighting and those forced to flee.
- Lavrov: US Trying to Blackmail Russia on UN Syria Resolution VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- Russia has accused the United States of trying to 'blackmail' it into letting the U.N. Security Council authorize force against the Syrian government if Damascus fails to give up its chemical weapons.
- Egyptian military closes main crossing to Gaza Strip Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Egypt military has once again sealed the main crossing to the besieged Gaza Strip following the worsening security situation across the North African country.
- US Looking to Bolster Israeli-Palestinian Talks at UN VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- At this week's meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will be pushing efforts to back ongoing peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians. The talks are based on a two-state solution to the conflict.
- Background Briefing Reading Out Bilateral Meetings With Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy, UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed, Jordanian King Abdullah and Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisals US Dept. of State 22 Sep 2013
- Kenya Military Launches Attack to End Siege VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- A Kenyan military spokesman says most of the hostages trapped in a Nairobi shopping mall by Islamist gunmen have been rescued, and that most of the complex is secure.
- Death toll from Nairobi attack hits 59 Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- The death toll from an attack by Somali militants on a Nairobi shopping mall has reached 59 as an unknown number of hostages are still being held in the Westgate center.
- Kenyan president vows to end hostage drama at Nairobi mall Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says his country's priority is to free the hostages held by gunmen inside a Nairobi shopping mall for the second day.
- Kenyan Security Forces Closing in on Nairobi Mall Attackers VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says the country's security forces are in a position to "neutralize" the attackers who laid siege to a shopping mall Saturday in Nairobi and continue to hold hostages. The government says 59 people have been killed and at least 175 wounded in the attack, blamed on a Somali terrorist group.
- Russia Opens Landmark N.Korean Rail Link RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Russia reopened Sunday a 54-kilometer (33-mile) railway link connecting the North Korean port city of Rajin with the Russian border town of Khasan as part of the project that is expected to speed shipments and trade in the region, Prime news agency reported.
- Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya Base displays air defense hardware Iran Press TV 22 Sep 2013 -- Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya Air Defense Base has displayed a number of its hardware at the Armed Forces parade marking the beginning of the Sacred Defense Week in Tehran.
- Iran To Take Over Bushehr, As Rohani Signals Readiness For Talks RFE/RL 22 Sep 2013 -- Iran says it will take over full control of the Russian-built Bushehr nuclear power plant on September 23.
- China's Bo Xilai Sentenced to Life in Prison VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- A court in China has sentenced fallen political star Bo Xilai to life in prison, finding him guilty of all of the three charges brought against him.
- Bo Xilai sentenced to life in prison for bribery, embezzlement, power abuse People's Daily 22 Sep 2013 -- Bo Xilai, former secretary of the Chongqing Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China and a former member of the CPC Central Committee Political Bureau, was sentenced to life imprisonment on Sunday for bribery, embezzlement and abuse of power.
- Nearly 80 Killed As Suicide Blasts Rock Peshawar Church RFE/RL 22 Sep 2013 -- Pakistan officials say an explosion outside a Christian church in the Pakistani city of Peshawar has killed at least 78 people.
- Pakistan Church Bombing Kills at Least 78 VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- At least 78 people have died and more than 120 wounded in a suicide attack against a church in northwestern Pakistan. A number of women and children are among the victims of Sunday's violence, being described as the deadliest ever assault on the country's Christian minority.
- Secretary-General appalled by terrorist attack on church in Pakistan UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said he is "appalled" by today's terrorist attack on a Christian church in north-western Pakistan, and urged the Government to do everything possible to find and bring the perpetrators to justice.
- Russia Boosts Security For Sochi Olympics With Pantsir-S Systems RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Six Pantsir-S short-range air defense systems have been delivered to the Russian military ahead of schedule to ensure security during the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, a senior defense ministry official said.
- Moscow Again Warns Kyiv Over EU Deals RFE/RL 22 Sep 2013 -- A senior Russian official has issued a strong warning to Ukraine against signing a trade and cooperation agreement with the European Union.
- Ahead of General Assembly summit, UN and AU chiefs discuss stronger partnership UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, today discussed ways to further strengthen the relationship between the two organizations.
- 'Name dispute' tops agenda in UN chief's meeting with Greek Foreign Minister UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today met with the Greek Foreign Minister to discuss United Nations-led talks between Greece and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia in the dispute over the latter's name.
- Ban meets leaders of Kosovo and Serbia on sidelines of General Assembly summit UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- Ban meets leaders of Kosovo and Serbia on sidelines of General Assembly summit
- Peacekeeping, development in focus as UN chief meets Chinese Foreign Minister UN News Centre 22 Sep 2013 -- United Nations peacekeeping and a global sustainable development in the years after 2015 were on the agenda during talks today between Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
- Merkel, Conservatives Triumph in German Vote VOA 22 Sep 2013 -- Partial results in Germany's elections show Chancellor Angela Merkel on her way to a third term in office with voters close to awarding her conservatives a historic absolute majority in parliament.
- Washington Navy Yard Memorial Service DoD 22 Sep 2013
- Remarks by the President at the Memorial Service for Victims of the Navy Yard Shooting The White House 22 Sep 2013
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|