Reserve announces revised force structure actions
1/25/2013 - ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFNS) -- Air Force Reserve Command officials are moving forward with force structure changes authorized by the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2013.
Air Force, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard leaders collaborated to develop one Total Force Proposal in response to concerns raised by state governors and Congress regarding the fiscal 13 President's Budget submission and subsequent congressional marks that placed proposed force structure actions on hold.
As enacted into law, the NDAA included the entire 'amended' Air Force Total Force Proposal as well as the retention of additional intratheater airlift aircraft, retention of the Global Hawk Block 30s and a delay of the retirement of 26 C-5A Galaxies until 45 days after delivery of a new Mobility Requirements and Capabilities Study. It also directed a National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force and limited retirement of B-1 Lancers.
'In a difficult economy, the Air Force has to make tough choices,' said Maj. Gen. Craig Gourley, the AFRC vice commander. 'These force structure changes will take place over the next three years and are necessary to help meet Budget Control Act of 2011 resource levels.'
New Air Force Reserve units authorized by the act include:
- 14th Intelligence Squadron, a classic associate unit at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- 28th Intelligence Squadron, a classic associate unit at Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- 37th Intelligence Squadron, a classic associate unit at Fort Meade, Md.
- 41st Intelligence Squadron, a classic associate unit at Offut AFB, Neb.
- 655th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, Wright-Patterson AFB
- 960th Cyber Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
- 960th Network Warfare Squadron, a classic associate unit at Lackland
Other force structure actions authorized by the act include:
- Barksdale AFB, La.--Inactivate the 917th Fighter Group and retire 24 A-10C Thunderbolt IIs and transfer three A-10C to Whiteman AFB, Mo.
- Beale AFB, Calif.--Inactivate the 13th Reconnaissance Squadron
- Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.--Gain 24 A-10Cs from the Air Force in 2014
- Lackland--Retire 16 C-5As during the next three years and gain 8 C-5Ms from Westover Air Reserve Base, Mass., in 2016 (C-5 retirements are delayed until 45 days after delivery of a new Mobility Requirements and Capabilities Study.)
- Westover ARB--Transfer eight C-5Ms to Lackland in 2016
- Tinker AFB, Okla.--Retire four KC-135 Stratotankers
- Whiteman AFB--Gain three A-10Cs from Barksdale AFB
- Robins AFB, Ga. --Inactivate the Band of the U.S. Air Force Reserve
- March ARB, Calif.--Retire one KC-135 in 2013
The Air Force has convened an intra-theater airlift working group and is using a deliberate approach to develop courses of action to determine the placement of additional intra-theater airlift assets. Additional changes to Air Force Reserve C-130 units will be made based upon decisions made by the working group.
(Courtesy of Air Force Reserve Command)
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|