U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
|IMMEDIATE RELEASE||January 10, 2013|
The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2013, through November.
Recruiting. All four active services met or exceeded their numerical accession goals for fiscal 2013, through November.
- Army – 11,685 accessions, with a goal of 11,550; 101 percent
- Navy – 5,299 accessions, with a goal of 5,299; 100 percent
- Marine Corps – 4,293 accessions, with a goal of 4,307; 100 percent
- Air Force – 4,452 accessions, with a goal of 4,452; 100 percent
Retention. The Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps exhibited strong retention numbers for the second month of fiscal 2013. While the Navy exhibited strong retention numbers in the mid-career and career categories, the Navy's achievement of 88 percent in the initial category is a result of the transition from a downsizing to a stabilizing posture.
Recruiting. Five of the six reserve components met or exceeded their fiscal-year-to-date 2013 recruiting goals. The Army Reserve finished November 654 short of their goal.
Army National Guard – 8,453 accessions, with a goal of 7,146; 118 percent
- Army Reserve – 4,013 accessions, with a goal of 4,667; 86 percent
- Navy Reserve – 877 accessions, with a goal of 877; 100 percent
- Marine Corps Reserve – 1,768 accessions, with a goal of 1,569; 113 percent
- Air National Guard – 1,414 accessions, with a goal of 1,414; 100 percent
- Air Force Reserve – 1,279 accessions, with a goal of 1,279; 100 percent
Attrition – All reserve components have met their fiscal-year-to-date attrition goals. Current trends are expected to continue. (This indicator lags by a month due to data availability).
Detailed information on specific recruiting data can be obtained by contacting the individual military recruiting commands at 502-626-0164 for Army, 210-565-4678 for Air Force, 703-784-9454 for Marine Corps, and 901-874-9048 for Navy. The Reserve Components can be reached at the following numbers: National Guard Bureau 703-607-2586, Army Reserve 910-570-8330, Air Force Reserve 703-697-1761, Navy Reserve 757-322-5652, and Marine Corps Reserve 504-678-6535.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|